Superstar 6900N. Toyota Avensis and the brink of a nervous breakdown.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
morgz84
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26UK81

Superstar 6900N. Toyota Avensis and the brink of a nervous breakdown.

Post by morgz84 »

Ever since I bought this motor i have had nothing but grief getting a radio working. Problem, after problem after problem. I have set up mobiles in two previous cars and it has been more or less plug and play, no issues what so ever other than the initial antenna tuning.

This car has been a nightmare. After numerous shenanigans finding an antenna setup I can get down to a usuable SWR, I am constantly having reports of poor muffled audio quality on SSB. It's one of those delightful problems which comes and goes to make it virtually impossible to diagnose. The poor audio quality coincides with hearing distorted feedback coming from the speaker, and a hideous squeal on AM. Generally, it seems to behave its self on FM. I have been through the manual and ensured that any talkback functions are off. This issue occurs with another identical radio and identical mike which I have. Both radios have previously worked brilliantly on the homebase set up where I used to live.

The setup is as follows:

Sirio ML145 PL mag mount
Modulator antenna connected via PL adaptor. Sirio ML145 antenna won't tune down to below 4 / 1, useless.
Superstar 6900N radio
Hi-Gear M75 power mike.
Coax running down side of windscreen, into bonnet and in through bulkhead. - This setup worked perfectly on two other cars I have owned.
Coax to mag mount has been replaced in it's entireity in recent days.

SWR is 1.5 or below.... until I plug in an extension between glove box and dash where I have it mounted, then it rises to around 2. Is the coax acting as the counter poise?! The reason for this setup is so that I can easily connect amp, SWR meter or external antenna if I wish. This is what I have always done with my car setups with no issue whatsoever.

So in trying to get rid of potential RF feedback (squeal on AM and screwed SSB audio), I have tried:

- Completely renewing coax from mag mount and all connectors.
- Different antenna. Tried 4ft Firestik which generally has better SWR than the Modulator.
- Different radio and mike.
- Running an ground from magmount ground terminal to chassis.
- Running an ground from radio chassis to car chassis.
- Tested radio on power pack pluged into extension lead.

After all this I can only conclude that either:

- Every piece of my radio equipment has broken at the same time.
- Toyota Avensis owners are not allowed CB radios in their cars.
- Paranormal activity is occurring
- MI6 / CIA / Mossad don't want me to have a hobby.
- All of the above

Could any of you lovely folk please give me any help to get into a more rational train of thought. At the moment, being rational, adult and logical has got me nowhere . I literally have no idea what to do, and frankly, I'm quite scared of what I will end up doing with the large lump hammer in my toolbox. I would quite like to do away with this mag mount and put a proper roof mount on the car but at the moment I just can't bring myself to pour any money into this sh1te show.

ch25
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Superstar 6900N. Toyota Avensis and the brink of a nervous breakdown.

Post by ch25 »

morgz84 wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 23:30
Is the coax acting as the counter poise?!
Yes. Coax, passengers etc. Forget about mag mount. Problem solved.
My own experience. I was able to stand next to my car with mic in hand, running 0.5kW into Santiago 1200 antenna and no squeal etc.
Just do it right :)
Chris
You can't have too many antennas...

morgz84
Regular
Regular

Post by morgz84 »

Thanks. I think I'm going to do this.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I drilled a nice hole in the roof of my '04 Renault Espace for my mount.
It is a heap of sh** though and being so is probably why it failed its MOT on Monday. Stupid ABS pump fault caused warning light to come on 2 days before the damn test was due. The scrap yard beckons lol.

morgz84
Regular
Regular

Post by morgz84 »

The Collector wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 20:31
I drilled a nice hole in the roof of my '04 Renault Espace for my mount.
It is a heap of sh** though and being so is probably why it failed its MOT on Monday. Stupid ABS pump fault caused warning light to come on 2 days before the damn test was due. The scrap yard beckons lol.
I had a Passat which kept blowing ABS fuse and subsequently ABS light coming on. After much anguish, I deduced that there was a short on the main power feed to the pump and the clowns who had the car before me had "fixed" it with a 50 amp fuse instead of the 30 amp which should have been there! :shock: In the end, I back wired my own power feed with the correct 30 amp fuse and never had any more issues. Rather off topic I know, but thought you'd like that story.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'm no expert on mechanics personally, so all I can do is check the earth points (the 2 ABS fuses look ok as they have continuity), and check the connector block. A 2nd-hand unit will be needed otherwise. The damn thing's fitted in a really silly place according to a Google search, so the radiator grilles, engine tray, wheel arch inner covers and bumper's got to come off by the looks of it just to get to the thing!

Anyway...I digress sorry ;)

morgz84
Regular
Regular

Post by morgz84 »

I'm very pleased to say that having finally had a break in the rain on a weekend, I have drilled the roof of the car and installed a Sirio SO239 stub. Got a decent SWR across the board with my ML145 antenna, which was wildly high on the mag mount. (Was using an old Modulator instead). No longer squeals on AM, not hearing any other noises through speaker on SSB, but haven't had chance yet for an audio report. Had to chop quite a bit off the ML145 to get acceptable SWR on all bands with the centre being triple 5. Also, Im getting far less engine noise coming through.

I'm a very happy camper today. Was on the verge of giving up having a mobile rig. It was quite scary putting a hole in my perfectly watertight roof, but I'm glad I did it. Not sure if there was a problem with the particular mag mount I had or if some vehicles just dont work well with them.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

morgz84 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 23:51
was quite scary putting a hole
Brings back memories of me drilling a hole in the boot of my mum's old Cavalier , and then sticking my 7' white firestik on it. She was not happy :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.

pienari
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 56la422

Post by pienari »

I sure can use any cb to my Avensis T22.
It is D4D engine and injectors make a bit noise but not bad.
Megawatt 4000 drilled middle roof.
Paljon pilalle tinailtuja koneita. ;)
Mobile. Ham concorde3, Megawatt 4000,Zetagi B550p.
Home. Colt Excalibur SSB , 2el Quad, Diy fet amp ,5kw.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Putting an aerial on my car doubled its value! ;)

I managed to replace the ABS pump mentioned above, without messing with brake lines or taking panels off like Google searches said. It's now tripled in value (£50).