Antron 99 use washers or not?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Master Virus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 17:15
Location: Halifax West Yorkshire

Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus » 08 Nov 2019, 12:37

Bought an Antron 99 to get me up and running and i was wondering if the washers were left out would it cause high swr or is this an old wives tale?
I'm also going to waterproof the antenna.

Master Virus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 17:15
Location: Halifax West Yorkshire

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus » 08 Nov 2019, 22:12

Its cool i found out my answer, you need them :D

User avatar
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 783
Joined: 19 Oct 2013, 15:48
Call Sign: GW6RRL
Location: Llanwrtyd Wells Powys
Contact:

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Tigersaw » 08 Nov 2019, 22:37

You mean the spring washers between the 3 pieces? Nope you don't need them, just makes it a bugger to take apart, and makes the seal poor letting water into the thread (last bit is my opinion after trying both ways)

Master Virus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 17:15
Location: Halifax West Yorkshire

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus » 09 Nov 2019, 17:20

yes the locking washers, some said if you don't use them it works its way apart and the swr goes high, says that in the manual too, but i've seen a lot not use them.

User avatar
ROTEL240
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 389
Joined: 01 Dec 2012, 20:10

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by ROTEL240 » 09 Nov 2019, 17:49

I have never used them I put a rubber o ring over the threads then tightened the two sections up and put self amalgamating tape over the joints. I have a spare set of washes here if anybody wants them FREE pm me.

Master Virus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 17:15
Location: Halifax West Yorkshire

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus » 09 Nov 2019, 18:49

Well i was thinking the washers were going to let in water and you could tape the joints to stop water getting in.
Thanks for the replies though.

User avatar
astradyne
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 09:28
Location: Dunny On The Wolds
Contact:

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by astradyne » 10 Nov 2019, 09:30

When I used an A99 I didn't bother with the locking washers, but I did use something called Threadlock. You just apply it to the thread just prior to assembly. It's strong enough to hold the antenna together and prevent it from unscrewing, but not so tough as to make disassembly difficult.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...

Master Virus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 17:15
Location: Halifax West Yorkshire

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus » 10 Nov 2019, 12:52

I don't think i will bother with the washers and i will get some thread lock.
Thanks to all that replied.

User avatar
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2634
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 17:48
Location: Up North

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Stronty » 10 Nov 2019, 13:11

I don't think i will bother with the washers and i will get some thread lock.
Thanks to all that replied.
Personally, I had an A99 up for 8 yrs in serious wind and rain (location dictated that) It's base was around 25/30 ft up. I used the locking washers as the designers intended, thread lock could be used in conjunction I suppose but I wouldn't!

Rather than pass of as my own words see below. That's enough to put me right off!

Locking washers do what there supposed to do if installed correctly, water ingress and other failures on A99's have different cures,leaving the locking washers off isn't one of them imo.

Your choice.

"the problem is that all liquid chemical threadlockers are insulators, and because they have low viscosity and cover most/all of the thread, they ruin any electrical or radio frequency (RF) bonding that a fixing might be supposed to provide."

https://www.emcstandards.co.uk/never-us ... -electrica

User avatar
astradyne
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 09:28
Location: Dunny On The Wolds
Contact:

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by astradyne » 10 Nov 2019, 13:27

Stronty wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 13:11
I don't think i will bother with the washers and i will get some thread lock.
Thanks to all that replied.
Personally, I had an A99 up for 8 yrs in serious wind and rain (location dictated that) It's base was around 25/30 ft up. I used the locking washers as the designers intended, thread lock could be used in conjunction I suppose but I wouldn't!

Rather than pass of as my own words see below. That's enough to put me right off!

Locking washers do what there supposed to do if installed correctly, water ingress and other failures on A99's have different cures,leaving the locking washers off isn't one of them imo.

Your choice.

"the problem is that all liquid chemical threadlockers are insulators, and because they have low viscosity and cover most/all of the thread, they ruin any electrical or radio frequency (RF) bonding that a fixing might be supposed to provide."

https://www.emcstandards.co.uk/never-us ... -electrica
I genuinely had no issues using Threadlock. I only used it on the top part of the threaded area. Maybe a centimeter deep or so.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...

GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 16 Oct 2019, 21:42

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by GoldVolvo » 10 Nov 2019, 14:11

I think the main issue with threadlock is people using way too much. You only need a drop & certainly don't use the red stuff if you ever want to get the thing apart again without cutting it down! Personally I think I'd stick with the manufacturer's solution of washers & weatherproof it in the way you would any other joint.

User avatar
The Collector
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5930
Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 19:26
Location: Bristol-ish

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by The Collector » 10 Nov 2019, 14:40

Better to use them than not.

They're anti-vibration washers and supplied for a reason, but won't cause leaks if not used as the water can't get down past the threaded holes anyway. As said above, just a spot of thread-lock solution can be used on jusy say the top 2 or 3 threads and a touch all around the top once tightened in place to seal it nicely. That's exactly what I've just done and talked about on the Imax2000 topic where I've stuck a tank-whip on top instead of the normal top section.

If you don't want to use them OR thread-lock, the possible hassle of having to take it all down again to refit the loose/fallen off section may make you think twice about it.

Master Virus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 17:15
Location: Halifax West Yorkshire

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus » 11 Nov 2019, 15:24

The manual says to use the washers so i'm going to use the washers as i want to put it up and as they say in New York, fuhgeddaboudit :D
Thanks to all

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1765
Joined: 13 Mar 2013, 22:23

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by 108EH002 » 11 Nov 2019, 15:44

Master Virus wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 15:24
The manual says to use the washers so i'm going to use the washers as i want to put it up and as they say in New York, fuhgeddaboudit :D
Thanks to all
The manual says the A-99 has 9.9db gain aswell,doesn't mean its true ;)
Pay the governments tax or freeband on CB test free.
27.781.25 FM - 27.555 USB - 27.385 LSB - 27.315 FM

Master Virus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: 21 Nov 2018, 17:15
Location: Halifax West Yorkshire

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus » 11 Nov 2019, 17:27

108EH002 wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 15:44
Master Virus wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 15:24
The manual says to use the washers so i'm going to use the washers as i want to put it up and as they say in New York, fuhgeddaboudit :D
Thanks to all
The manual says the A-99 has 9.9db gain as well,doesn't mean its true ;)
Well yeah, i agree with you on that. And don't believe everything i read, i know :D
To be honest with you i didn't want to use the washers, i was just going to tighten it up and then use the tape and hope it didn't come apart with the wind.
Some say yes and some say no, i suppose its try and see for myself and if it does come apart blame it on the squirrels 🤣
Thanks again

Post Reply