6 Meter Projects

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

6 Meter Projects

Post by Werthers »

I've been wanting to do some 6 meter projects I want to build or convert transceivers to 6 meters for fun. I know that this side of the hobby is pretty much dead now as nobody builds there own kit anymore or at least not very many people do at all.

I don't have anything for 6 meters and I don't plan on buying an expensive transceiver just to get on six meters either. I'd much rather have fun building my own 6 meter transceiver. Some people will say why 6 meters? the band is dead blah blah blah. Its for fun and six meters is a nice band to start with in regards to building a transceiver and I'd have a cool rare 6 meter transceiver by the end of it. I think this will be an exciting fun project.

When looking for suitable transceivers to use for my project I've found that there literally isn't very much out there for 6 meters. I know of some single band 6 meter transceivers that exist such as the AKD and a few others. I know of a Motorola transceiver that will cover 6 meters but is more commonly found stateside than in the UK. All these transceivers are rare and expensive.

First I want to talk about modes. FM/SSB are what I want plus I want something where I can use 6 meter FM repeaters. I plan on building two separate transceivers, one for FM and one for SSB.

I would like to start with the FM transceiver first.

I was thinking about using a suitable FM CB radio for this but for repeater use it will get a bit complex but still doable. I would however like to keep things simple. I will need something that can transmit on one frequency and receive on another with CTCSS. An FM CB radio may not be ideal for this. An ex-business PMR Transceiver would be perfect for this with a transverter, I'm not looking for anything with hundreds of channels it only needs to be something like an 8 channel or more VHF FM transceiver on 2 meters with a transverter board to go from 145 MHz to 50 plus MHz. I will have about 4 repeater channels and a selection of 6 meter FM simplex channels.

I want to work on the FM 6 meter transceiver first and I'll come back to the SSB side later.

If I were to go down the CB route I don't think there would be enough room for the extra boards to fit inside an average CB radio. I want it to be a tidy project without external boxes on the back of the transceiver.

Things that I have:
49 MHz walkie talkie
CTCSS tone boards
Old CB Radios

Suggestions? Ideas?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: 6 Meter Projects

Post by ch25 »

There was a project published on the web - conversion CB radio to 6m.
GL with your project.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

ch25 wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 09:47 There was a project published on the web - conversion CB radio to 6m.
GL with your project.
Thanks. I have been reading quite a few threads online about it. There are a few interesting transverter schematics with printed PCBs for making the circuit board that I'm probably going to build if all the components needed are easily obtainable.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Just an update. I've put this project on hold for the moment. My plan is to build the transverter but first I need to get my other projects done. I have downloaded all the info I need for the time being. Next step will be making sure I can get all the required components I need for the build.