Telescopic pole

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Telescopic pole

Post by Werthers »

I'm really struggling to find a suitable telescopic pole to attach antennas to for temporary setups.

I'm looking for two poles. One must be non conductive and suitable to hold up a wire antenna. The next one needs to be sturdy and strong enough to hold up a SIRIO CX 4-68 for a few hours. A 12 foot length will do.

I used to have a plastic telescopic pole that cost me around 30 quid of ebay but it quickly became tatty and the sections had to be secured with duck tape to stop them from sliding back down. I wish I never got rid of it. I can't remember what it was called but that would have done the job for the wire antenna.

I'm really struggling to find half decent telescopic poles.

Anybody know of any cheap suitable telescopic poles available that don't cost the earth?
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Telescopic pole

Post by Andy »

Spiderbeam do a good selection, but be prepared to shell out a few quid. I've got the 18 meter one, it comes with padded jubilee-type clips to hold each section up. All fibreglass, non conductive.

https://www.spiderbeam.com/

Just thought, there may be a hefty customs charge to pay these days....
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

What kind of wire antenna?
Spidebeam poles are good for temporary vertical, but nothing else.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Post by M3PIE »

I have used fishing poles for wire dipole etc for many years. however my last pole was from Callum https://www.m0mcx.co.uk/
Mark
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I have a Spiderbeam pole, the quality is absolutely superb.. I cannot say enough good about them... has a long history manufacturing them...tried and tested poles.I would not have a problem putting one up permanently either, given good guying etc.

I would buy another one without thinking twice.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

InTheClouds wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:10 I have a Spiderbeam pole, the quality is absolutely superb.. I cannot say enough good about them... has a long history manufacturing them...tried and tested poles.I would not have a problem putting one up permanently either, given good guying etc.

I would buy another one without thinking twice.
Likewise. This one has been up for several years, but I do lower it if the wind starts getting frisky. It's supported at the base with two TK brackets and there are no guys. I use it as a support for 40 feet of wire which is loaded to resonance on 160 metres with a loading coil about 10 feet down from the top.
TB vert1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Spidebeam poles are a bit to much I just need something non conductive and cheap to hold a vertical full wave wire antenna for 4 meters to put up into the air for an hour or so each week for the weekly net.

I was thinking of some kinda fishing pole or painters pole anything cheap that will do the job.