Is there any need for all these repeaters

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Is there any need for all these repeaters

Post by Werthers »

So many repeaters on 70cms, many of them being close to one another, 7 to 8 local repeaters to an area that are literally never used other than a couple that get occasional use at a certain time.

Another couple new repeaters are on air... Why?

I appreciate peoples time and effort providing us with repeaters but I think the money that it costs to do so could be spent more efficiently on things like club nights, activities and evens rather than spending it on another repeater that will spend its life doing nothing.

There are so many repeaters on 70cms there are seven repeaters on 70cms in my area alone and only one gets used for about 10 minutes a day at a certain time normally by the same group of people.

The repeaters on 2 meters are moderately OK.

We only need two 70cms repeaters to an area maybe three at the most but seven is too much.

Is there any need for all these repeaters?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Is there any need for all these repeaters

Post by MrWeetabix »

I think its because people like the challenge of building one. They are built as projects, not to meet a specific need in a local area. Then people start asking for donations to keep them running.... 🤷🏼‍♂️
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Is there any need for all these repeaters

Post by Werthers »

MrWeetabix wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 09:33 I think its because people like the challenge of building one. They are built as projects, not to meet a specific need in a local area. Then people start asking for donations to keep them running.... 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thats fair enough, maybe having some repeaters for 10 and 6 meters it be nice to have a handful of local repeaters on those bands.

I have no idea why people ask for donations to keep repeaters going that barely get used or in some cases not used at all.