Ofcom EMF safety calculator & ICNIRP Guidelines

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Ofcom EMF safety calculator & ICNIRP Guidelines

Post by 26mb04 »

The Ofcom EMF calculator can be found here. I wonder how many people will actually be bothered to use/comply with the ICNIRP guidelines? (I'll try, because I don't like the idea of being slowly cooked.) It does calculate the safe distance on 70cm at 0.5W as 22cm away (from the antenna), which would be hard to do on a handheld. It also suggests the minimum safe distance on 20M (using 2W) as 3.4m, which effectively rules out backpack usage. I might have to bend that rule a little.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Ofcom EMF safety calculator

Post by MrWeetabix »

There's a lot to take in on the email sent.... I suspect most will try reading it, then just call it a load of old tosh, delete and continue to use their radios as they have done for years....
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

26mb04 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 14:59 which effectively rules out backpack usage. I might have to bend that rule a little.
Apparently, as the op you're exempt as I read it....

4. Meaning of members of the general public

4.1 The EMF condition requires spectrum users to ensure members of the general public (as defined in the EMF condition) are not exposed to levels of EMF above the ICNIRP general public limits. It does not require spectrum users to protect any person from EMF exposure who is:

...a) the licensee, owner, operator or installer of the relevant radio equipment; or
...b) acting under a contract of employment or otherwise acting for purposes connected with their trade
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Apparently, as the op you're exempt as I read it....
Only if you wear a mask..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Re: Ofcom EMF safety calculator & ICNIRP Guidelines

Post by MrWeetabix »

From a very quick play with the calculator, assuming that most ops are using 100w or less on 10Mhz up to 70cm then you're looking at 4.77m (15ft 8 inches) separation between your antenna and anyone else being sufficient to meet compliance rules. All my verticals should be fine, but strictly speaking I could be in breach on the end-fed HF long-wire as it is fed from ground level at the bottom corner of the garden. If I draw a 4.77M radius circle from the feed point, most of that would be in a public parking area or my neighbour's garden. I am assuming this new regulation doesn't apply to freqs under 10Mhz, as the calculator does not include these.

Again, after a very quick read through of the regs, (again strictly speaking) I should post signs in the area to inform people whom may occupy that space of the exposure risks, which should satisfy my obligations under the section 5.6

5.6 There are some areas where spectrum users do not need to expect members of the general public to be present. These include:
...a) areas where a spectrum user or third party has INSTALLED APPROPRIATE WARNING SIGNS, barriers and/or locks designed to prevent members of the general public from accessing areas in which the ICNIRP general public limits may be exceeded;
...b) areas which may be public property but which in practice have become and remain
inaccessible, for example, due to overgrown vegetation.

Whilst putting up signage seems to satisfy the terms above, I am not sure how I would legally stand in effectively restricting access to a public space, or a neighbour's property by introducing a risk factor caused by my antenna....

However, with that said, OFCOM would likely need cause/reason to come and investigate my circumstances, which would likely be from a complaint or report by someone. They would then have to visit, they would then have to take measurements when I was transmitting on that particular antenna... all of which is highly unlikely and costly to an organisation with no real teeth or interest in the hobby. Danger to life or health would need to be proven beyond doubt in any prosecution and in actual fact, after all that was looked into and establish, a chat with me and asking me to move or remove the antenna would likely be the worst-case scenario, foregoing any further prosecution or execution of legal powers.

That's my very quick and very hasty digestion and assumptions on the impact this will have on me and most users.

CBers are only exempt if they have older, legal 4w Kit. Technically your 12w capable USB radio is subject to the above regs too.

Again, all my understanding and I am happy to be corrected or re-educated :-D

MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

**Links to the OFCOM page on all this for clarity

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/emf

26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

26mb04 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 14:59 ... which effectively rules out backpack usage. I might have to bend that rule a little.
I know the distance guidelines won't apply to the operator, but it's weird to think that as ops we are potentially exposing ourselves to levels of RF that are higher than the public guidelines. Regularly too, in some cases. As I mentioned, I'll still go portable HF, but I'll appreciate it a bit more knowing the antenna is just cm away from my head.

On the other hand, I like the RF safety signs. They look really evil and dangerous.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

26mb04 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 14:59 The Ofcom EMF calculator can be found here. I wonder how many people will actually be bothered to use/comply with the ICNIRP guidelines? (I'll try, because I don't like the idea of being slowly cooked.) It does calculate the safe distance on 70cm at 0.5W as 22cm away (from the antenna), which would be hard to do on a handheld. It also suggests the minimum safe distance on 20M (using 2W) as 3.4m, which effectively rules out backpack usage. I might have to bend that rule a little.
You understand it??? It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Simple calculator wtf, it looks like it's written by a maths professor, and I'm no Einstein that's for sure. If they want the average ham to understand it then it needs to be a whole lot simpler than it is imho, heck, I get confused when they go on about dbW's, power out I can measure, coax losses and aerial gain fine but this ffs, no chance.
MrWeetabix wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 16:08 There's a lot to take in on the email sent.... I suspect most will try reading it, then just call it a load of old tosh, delete and continue to use their radios as they have done for years....
Yep, I'm with you there. I don't transmit a lot anyway so there's no danger to me or the general public as far as I can see.
The perfect face for radio.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

I'll stick with KLF because I'm justified (not yet ancient though) :thumbup:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
concorde
Regular
Regular

Post by concorde »

What would the emf be standing next to Crystal Palace transmitter?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Transwarp wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 20:53 I'll stick with KLF because I'm justified (not yet ancient though) :thumbup:
That's 'unbelievable' :lol:

Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

MrWeetabix wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 09:12
Transwarp wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 20:53 I'll stick with KLF because I'm justified (not yet ancient though) :thumbup:
That's 'unbelievable' :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

This is one of those ridiculous rules that shouldn't be necessary for 99% of Amateurs but we all have to f*** about doing it anyway. I'm a dedicated Amateur who has been into radio since I could speak, but this kind of carp really does my head in. It may nudge me to give up and become a full-time listener, which is more or less what I've become over recent years anyway. {bnghd}
I hope there's a box to tick that says 'I've never used more than 30W on any band and I have no intention of doing so'. That'd be job done for me.
BTW, where does this leave the mobile phone? Everyone and his dog has one and they seem quite content to press the thing against their head, and how often do we pass in close proximity to someone who is using their phone?
What about the police and their handhelds?
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
5973Laterz
Regular
Regular

Post by 5973Laterz »

I am having trouble opening this file in both Apache Open Office and a Windows 10 suggested Windows 10 app "XLSX Viewer Free" (just get a blank screen) I for one would appreciate if Ofcom had an online html ported website based version.
I worked the world at the 11 year cycle low on a snapped PL-259 center pin and 0.01W so neh neh ne ne neh