Ground loops

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Earth ground or both

Post by MorseMan »

I was asked recently can i connect my station to the mains earth.
My reply was try to keep Rf away from mains earth & put in a good RF ground using a non resonant thick braid or strap as short as possible.

Thinking about my advice it's best to ask for clarification as I'm not on a protective multiple earth system. I believe that Their is a danger with it.

Advice from a professional would be appreciated.
MorseMan

Ground loops

Post by MorseMan »

When you read up earthing your radio station you are warned about ground loops & are shown diagrams like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MorseMan

Re: Ground loops

Post by MorseMan »

But other books show this as recommended.
If you join the radio to the accessory with coax, Doesn't it form a ground loop if that accessory is an ATU or linear amplifier ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MorseMan

Re: Earth ground or both

Post by MorseMan »

MorseMan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 20:28 I was asked recently can i connect my station to the mains earth.
My reply was try to keep Rf away from mains earth & put in a good RF ground using a non resonant thick braid or strap as short as possible.

Thinking about my advice it's best to ask for clarification as I'm not on a protective multiple earth system. I believe that Their is a danger with it.

Advice from a professional would be appreciated.
There seems little point in me starting a thread asking a safety question for it to be merged with somthing totally different.
It may aswell been put under how to brush your pet rabbit.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Doing your own thing with ground rods can be dangerous under certain fault conditions & in the event of local lightening strikes generating high potential between your electrical earth provided by the supplier and diy ground rods,

our local council remove them if they catch you using them in their properties & warn you not to connect it back up,
its best to find out what systen you are on & what you can do with it.

some old properties don't have an earth

i don't use ground rods & bus bars, i have the lowest noise of any local & no ground loops.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
Buick Mackane

Re: Earth ground or both

Post by Buick Mackane »

MorseMan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:49

There seems little point in me starting a thread asking a safety question for it to be merged with somthing totally different.
It may aswell been put under how to brush your pet rabbit .
You chucking your toys, And how to brush your pet rabbit has been merged with how to tickle your parrot with a feather.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
MorseMan

Post by MorseMan »

Brushing your pet rabbit with a plastic brush or comb can be electrically unsafe, Ion's are stripped & an electrostatic charge will build up.
Given an extended petting session with Thumper, sufficient voltage may build to the extent that both rabbit & owner are vaporized if an earth is touched.

Joking aside, I posted a safety question thread & it got lumped in with something similar but completely different.
It was like putting tomatoes in a fruit salad .

Aaaarrrk Aaaarrrrk who's a pretty boy !

Parrot tickling Is like trout tickling but you don't get your hands wet !! 😂