Online exam booking system proves popular

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Online exam booking system proves popular

Post by M3PIE »

The RSGB report that 300 candidates booked a remotely-invigilated online Foundation exam in the first 5 days of the new booking system being live

The new booking system went live at 9:30 am on Monday, June 1.
It enables candidates to select their preferred date and time to take the online exam in their own home.

Around 600 exam slots are available each month and all slots up until the middle of July are now fully booked.

You can book your exam at
http://www.rsgb.org/exampay

A free Foundation Online training course is provided by Essex Ham, details and registration at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Re: Online exam booking system proves popular

Post by M3PIE »

Great to see new blood coming into Amateur Radio. i hope they enjoy the radio. good luck.
Mark.
wizzzard
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM857

Re: Online exam booking system proves popular

Post by wizzzard »

I passed my foundation licence exam yesterday :D I found the online system simple and straightforward to use. I wish this had been available years ago. It occurred to me that RSGB and the amateur community should be be publicising the online training available and exam facilities far and wide.
There has never been a better opportunity to attract some youth in to amateur radio than at present. The resources available online today for free, 24/7/365 and only a thumb or finger tap away. YouTube, Facebook groups, radio club websites and forums such as TM1 weren't there years ago. My 2 kids and their ilk live their lives online and not only during lockdown.
I have visited some local amateur radio clubs and on occasion I have been the youngest person in the building. I am 54! How is this supposed to appeal to the online generation?
Today there is no necessity to attend a club full of predominantly white, mid to late aged men. Not to visit a club though would be to miss out on decades if not centuries of collective knowledge and experience. In my opinion the online route is the best way to attract some youth in to radio.
A Baofeng and an SDR can be delivered to your door for less than £30. A vector network analyser can be picked up for not much more. Unimaginable capabilities to previous generations.
There hasn't been a better time to begin in amateur radio we just need to get the word out and let it "go viral".
S9 R5 next...