Foundation Licence FAQ

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
M5GWH
Regular
Regular

Foundation Licence FAQ

Post by M5GWH »

Hi everyone.

Lockdown has caused an upsurge in interest in those wanting to gain their Foundation Licence (probably because you can do it without the Practical assessment and outside of a club).

I've put together a FAQ document at https://tinyurl.com/ukflfaq/ and its being updated on a regular, sometimes daily basis.

Everything is covered from the buying the book, online courses and revision resources to applying for the exam, pre exam meeting and what happens on the day.

Please share with anyone interested and, if you're going for the exam - good luck!

Leigh M5GWH
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Re: Foundation Licence FAQ

Post by Mitch »

Link doesn't work, try this

Any Full licence courses online?
The perfect face for radio.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

i know you can do your foundation with a web cam but what about the practicals for the higher courses
love your familly
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Post by MorseMan »

Just do the foundation online, Absolutly no construction needed.
It's doubtful if you need any kind of knowledge at all really.
I know a guy who took the test absolutely pi**ed out of his head & still passed with flying colours.
If he can do it anyone can.
About 12 hours of casual study should ensure a pass.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

By the way, as a reminder if you want to do any of the online exams, you must have either a Windows computer (Windows 7 and above) or a Mac (Mac OS 10.8 or later).

So no Linux or similar derivatives allowed unfortunately. :cry:

It would have been no good for me, as all my machines are Linux, and have been for a number of years. No crashes, no blue screen of death, no virus problems etc with Linux Mint, YMMV but for me it has been a vast improvement and I will never go back to Windows.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Are you saying you like Linux or Windows? 8)
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Transwarp wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 16:53 Are you saying you like Linux or Windows? 8)

I like Linux and would not go back to Windows if I could help it, that is why I stated:

all my machines are Linux, and have been for a number of years. No crashes, no blue screen of death, no virus problems etc with Linux Mint, YMMV but for me it has been a vast improvement and I will never go back to Windows.

I think that the RSGB should have engaged an exam provider that produced examination software for Linux users.

I have no particular axe to grind with the RSGB, and I think they do some good work, but I think in this particular instance they have been narrow minded in their outlook.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

I don't think they've been narrow minded. They're not going to have something developed for an OS a small percentage of computer users use, for an exam to be taken by a tiny percentage of the population.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Ant wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 09:40 I don't think they've been narrow minded. They're not going to have something developed for an OS a small percentage of computer users use, for an exam to be taken by a tiny percentage of the population.
Yeah you're probably right, I suppose it all boils down to money at the end of the day, what with the RSGB being a “not-for-profit” organisation etc.

I am not one of these people who likes to criticise the RSGB every chance I get, I think they are a force for good and hey, where is the alternative to them?

If the truth be known I am just having a moan, as I am unable to do the full license even if I wanted to, because you need 2 Windows computers to sit the exam and I am 100% Linux here. I might be able to borrow one Windows computer but not two and i'm not going to splash the cash just to sit an exam :)

Saying that mind you from my strictly anecdotal, experience a higher percentage of radio enthusiasts are Linux/Ubuntu users compared to the general population, but I accept that my experience may not be typical :thumbup:
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

weres the link to the online test
love your familly
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

stanogs68 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 20:52 weres the link to the online test
You have to go on the RSGB website and book a test.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I am one of the people to criticise the RSGB (Ltd) at every chance I get, but I can't really see an issue here. Saying you can't do the test because you haven't got Windows (same here, btw) is (for example) like saying you refuse to go on 20M because your dual bander won't tune there. The RSGB don't have to offer an online exam at all, the fact they have is something that should be applauded (am I really saying this??). Could you not run windows in a VM or something?
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

The way I read it, it is a limitation of the Testreach app, which is a 3rd party app and something that the RSGB will have paid for. It offers support for windows or MAC systems, which covers the vast amount of users (to be fair). All supporting docs from the RSGB are provided on PDF or Word format, both of which have plenty of free readers available for multiple Operating Systems.

I understand why some people choose to run non-windows or MAC systems, but its a choice made knowing that compatibility can be problematic.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Is this topic about licence exams or Windows vs Linux?

My view is that everything nowadays is based around tech and to the point if you don't have you can't do something. Make no wonder handwriting and mental arithmetic skills have declined and limb and eyesight problems have risen. Nothing wrong with old school ways, books, pens, paper and snail mail. All helps keep the mail services in business as well.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
milly

Post by milly »

stanogs68 wrote: 14 May 2020, 20:29 i know you can do your foundation with a web cam but what about the practicals for the higher courses
There are no compulory practicals for the Intermediate/Full licences. Both are multiple-guess based tests?
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"