Having a problem with antennas/feeders on vhf & uhf

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Meeko
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0FVD

Having a problem with antennas/feeders on vhf & uhf

Post by Meeko »

Hello (again)

I've just purchased a Yaesu Ft-847 specifically for sat work. I used ro listed to Oscar 7 in the later 70s and its a goal tl hear it again now its working and maybe even work through it! I've ant FT902 with the FTV901 transverter (and Baofeng UV5Rs and a Wouxun KG950 but they are only FM) so the FT847 was a welcome purchase and much anticipated.

Got a half G5RV via an FC902 antenna tuner and that works fine into Central Europe on HF. Ive switched it ove to the 847 and works great.

I have a home made 3/4 vertical for 2m and a Diamond X50N colinear just for 70cm at present just to dip a toe in the multimode VHF and UHF bands. But ... puttkng it mildly both appear crap! Ive two longish runs (about 15-20m each) of RG213 one to each antenna. One terminated PL259 and one Ntype. The signals received are very poor.
For reference im listening to ATC automated info at Manchester Airport which is <5miles away and only managing S7 at best on 128.??? AM (cant remember).

Any thoughts?
Meeko
Regular
Regular

Re: Having a problem with antennas/feeders on vhf & uhf

Post by Meeko »

Re reading what i wrote i dont think i was very clear or made much sense!

My point was using the Airport broadcast as a reference i appear to be getting poor reception with either antenna or cable configuration or radio (ft847 or ft902&ftv901) combinations.

Ive also tried to open the local PZ repeater and can with the Baofeng but cant with FT847 yet i did once get a quick radio check completed successfully.

I think half my problem is so little radio activity to eavesdrop on to tweak configurations against.... anyone localish want to volunteer?!
G8GGP
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0AFJ

Post by G8GGP »

Hi, a couple of points, there is quite a variance in the quality of RG213, some is dreadful, I don’t know if you have the capability to measure the loss of a length of the cable you are using?, the other point is that your ATC stuff is in the 125MHz area and 2M, of course is 144MHz...a big change in frequency...
Hope you get it sorted
73 Tim
Meeko
Regular
Regular

Post by Meeko »

Just a quick update: found i had not one but TWO faulty patch leads! Two short lengths of RG213 with an Ntype that fell off and a PL259 with dry solder joint.

Mystery solved! Local repeaters accessible and booming in, even ATC 59+. Also heard XW-2A satellite beacon. Im progressing!