UK Amateur Radio whats happening?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: UK Amateur Radio whats happening?

Post by 26mb04 »

CharlieOne wrote: 20 May 2020, 21:09 Is 145.5MHz still S20, the calling channel?
And what about 70cm?
Is there anyone that's been on the air since the 80s that can tell me the difference I will see today?
145.5 is still the FM call channel. 70cm is (still?) secondary, as you probably know the band is shared with low power devices (including voice, see LPD433). These cover repeater inputs and outputs, not much we can do about it but hey it might encourage others to take the plunge!

I'd recommend reading the latest guidelines. Things have changed a LOT in a few years. There's no mandatory 15m ID, just ID whenever you think is reasonable (inc. start/finish), in the mode you think is appropriate for your type of operation.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

site issue
Last edited by InTheClouds on 28 May 2020, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

paulears wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 09:12 And that is what had wrecked ham radio. It's just too cheap for a serious hobby, so people try it and get bored where when it was expensive you needed to think, consider, research, learn and do things with it that justified the investment. Cheap entry trivialises everything. Amateur film makers have exactly the same issues. People get into it, do badly, get bored and leave blaming the hobby when it's the people! I love it when somebody buys a camera for 30 quid and complains when people don't like their poorly produced epic. One person uses a real four figure camera, four figure lenses and four figure grip kit and the person with a Chinese GoPro on a stick can't get the same result! Instantly, with no effort. YouTube is full of this rubbish!
I cannot agree with this. Low entry price must have exposed the hobby to a much wider range of people who may only have £500.00 a year to spend on a hobby instead of £3,000 a year. Does that get up the nose of some because it is less "exclusive" ? Sure the kit can make a big difference, but the main reason why some one gets bored or not or gives up in any activity in life is "can you be bothered" and will you push through challenges or not. Give a pro the same cheap camera and a new person and it stands to reason the pro will make the best job using low grade kit. The difference is experience.

Something seems to happen to people when they take their amateur licence. Not all to be fair, but some, they no longer want to chat with lowly CB'ers/ free banders. Let me put it out there, I could probably gain a second stage HAM licence with no training at a guess if I did the exams, right now. It is not rocket science but some people get all uppity and think they are a cut above. Also surely doing the HAM license compromises your cheeky 11m free banding, cause all your info is officially with OFCOM.

Another side of it is a lot of general radio engagement in society is on a down turn from listening to SW/MW and FM - DAB never quite took off like they wished. CB and free banding. The internet is seeing to that in the same way the high streets are failing. Another thing that puts a lot of people off CB and HAM radio is the conservative attitude, that's close to half the potentially interested participants put off already. The demographic has always been rather conservative that no one can deny.

You have to do what you enjoy and want in the end, it is all on a downwards trend and in this regard we are all in the same boat. All the more reason to respect all people you do speak with right now, differences are what make the world go round, whatever the band you favour. We should all do our best to be friendly and welcoming on air to sensible operators, that will keep those who are bothered, into it for longer. Radio is not much without other people to speak with, we should think of that every time we go on air and only promote positivity on the air waves, CB and HAM alike.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

InTheClouds wrote: 28 May 2020, 08:59
paulears wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 09:12 And that is what had wrecked ham radio. It's just too cheap for a serious hobby, so people try it and get bored where when it was expensive you needed to think, consider, research, learn and do things with it that justified the investment. Cheap entry trivialises everything. Amateur film makers have exactly the same issues. People get into it, do badly, get bored and leave blaming the hobby when it's the people! I love it when somebody buys a camera for 30 quid and complains when people don't like their poorly produced epic. One person uses a real four figure camera, four figure lenses and four figure grip kit and the person with a Chinese GoPro on a stick can't get the same result! Instantly, with no effort. YouTube is full of this rubbish!
Something seems to happen to people when they take their amateur licence. Not all to be fair, but some, they no longer want to chat with lowly CB'ers/ free banders. Let me put it out there, I could probably gain a second stage HAM licence with no training at a guess if I did the exams,

Radio is not much without other people to speak with, we should think of that every time we go on air and only promote positivity on the air waves, CB and HAM alike.

Nothing happens to people they just choose not to bother with cb anymore.
I've been a cber 40 years and I hold a full ticket and remember some of us use dits and dahs not microphones.
Occasionally I use voice, you know if I had a pound for all those that say I could probably do the 2e but never do I'd be able to buy a new Kenwood 890 lol.
BTW it's spectrum not air waves good buddy :D
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Quite old this and interesting it's popped up. Since then I've also noticed that bad behaviour is spreading to every corner. People get instant access to things they are only slightly interested in, they don't want to put money or effort in, and demand instant results. For info though, back in 1979, CB'ers were very much the same. Real enthusiasts who learned what they needed to know on their own. Cheap access to EVERY hobby dilutes it.

I love the idea that the cost needs to be low - it doesn't. Saving for things, buying cheap and working up is good for you. Nobody buys the top of the range first unless daft, but it's too easy to get in, get bored, cause havoc and have no respect for anyone.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

What's the pass percentage requirement for the foundation and intermediate ?

edited: I just answered my own question:

Foundation 73
Intermediate 61
Full 60

I just got 75-80pct for the intermediate mock paper without any study. I would just need to revise my basic electronics knowledge and remember a few formulas to answer them all. It is not that I couldn't (I am sure full licence is harder though) it is more that 11m gives me what I want. It is more challenging to deal with the chaos of 11m than have a nice clear orderly boring QSL approach.That is not challenging. Neither do I want to spend £300.00 on a second hand HF radio when a new £150.00 brand new one, with excellent RF specs (harmonics/spurious etc.) gives you the world, conditions permitting. I would not miss the PLT mind you.

DX on amateur bands seems easier. Zero interest in VHF, why? Not sure just does not seem interesting to me for some reason you can do Sporadic E/Tropo on 11m, VHF seems boring and pointless.

Never say never though, maybe one day.