Baofeng

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
patrington
New User
New User

Baofeng

Post by patrington »

Hi Guys, Just bought baofeng 5r,,brand new to this hobby,,,,,,,not hearing anything,,,,,,,if I`m in Hedon, should I be able to pick up Humberside airport with my 5r. Cheers, Peter...….ps just to confirm,what is the tower frequency.....
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Baofeng

Post by thelad »

Dont think the 5r will cover airband.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

It doesn't cover airband and it wont receive AM.
The radio you have will typically cover 136-174Mhz on the VHF and 400-470Mhz on UHF. On both bands, it's FM

Civil airband is around 108-136Mhz or thereabouts.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

As above, and, the tower frequency should be 124.900Mc by the way. You can get an entry level, second user scanner for beer money these days as the analogue frequencies are dissappearing.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

You may get the UHF tower relay if they have one.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
patrington
New User
New User

Post by patrington »

Thanks guys for all the info......
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

I'm new ish to the uv 5 dual band too. To improve what you have you can try adding a counterpoise or tiger tail wire.
From what I understand and have tried with success myself with noticed increases to tx rx on vhf uhf you cut a 19.50" piece of wire and with either a ring crimp connector or form a small ring of soldered wire end to ground behind one of the belt clip screws for simplicity .
Test it has continuity to ground of antenna but I'm sure all uv 5 do so at least all mine do.

Works well on 2m 70 and improvements on pmr 446 too.

I have found the retevis rhd 771 a cracking antenna which improved signals well.
Just under £4 from Hong Kong so a bargain, not so many clones like with the nagoya too.
Had several ,all work perfectly with improved tx rx..

V impressed so far with the uv 5 in every aspect.recently upgraded to the uv 5tp which is again in power terms a improvement over 4 watts.

Something I noted with the tigertail is when I am portable I generally use the radio holding vertically. However if I hear weakest signal no audio I hold the counterpoise wire at a 45 degree angle to the main antenna and point the main antenna towards where I feel the signal gets stronger or is transmitted from.

Did this only today and was able to hear audio of the gent calling .so for some reason it works well .
Another I note is if I hold the tiger tail whilst receiving only ,not transmitting I get a cleaner signal if it's weak.
Also have a steel plastic coated washing line, for receive again I hold the antenna up to the washing line touching again it can increase the receive.

Good luck with your new uv5 ,the wire is a free improvement and works v well.
Take it up high ground and try again.

All the best .