What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2018)

Post by Werthers »

I found a Motorola GP680 with built in keypad and display at the car boot sale which cost me a fiver. I wasn't sure if it would work or not but I charged it up and the battery seems to hold a half decent charge, its a VHF model so good for two meters. Luckily I have the programming software for this on my old laptop and I've put in some two meter frequencies on it. It seems to work well.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Just bought SPE Expert 1.5K-FA second series. Step-up from old 1K-FA I had before.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I picked up this little beauty today at a charity shop for a tenner. Its an 80 meter transceiver. I have no idea if it works or what voltage it runs from, I'm assuming its 12volt but I will unscrew the cover to take a peak inside to see if it says anything on the board.

It looks like it may just work, it came with no mic or cables. I'm not in any rush to test it but I will set it up at some point.

I'm sure people on here can tell me more about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I just had a peak inside of it and seems well made, nice and tidy with a lot inside it. I have no jack plug to fit this so I'll probably end up fitting two terminal posts onto the back of it for power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Couldn't resist getting one of these to try. I'm very pleased so far and latest firmware allows narrowband FM for 10m.
I might get the G-SOC at some point.

I've also an Icom IC-705 on its way, so it will be good to compare them on HF.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Got one myself mate and love it. There are some great users groups one on Facebook and one on iogroups. Regards the GSOC..will hold off not sure if you are aware major issues with them so much so some dealers are accepting returns purely because they realise they have put them on the market to early.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

gmham wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 21:30 Got one myself mate and love it. There are some great users groups one on Facebook and one on iogroups. Regards the GSOC..will hold off not sure if you are aware major issues with them so much so some dealers are accepting returns purely because they realise they have put them on the market to early.
Cheers John. I've been following the GSOC's development woes on a few of the YouTube channels and even after being released, it's still "iffy", so I'll not be rushing in to buying until the bugs have been ironed out.
Have been keen on the G90 for a while now but had held off until it had matured. Had intended to get one earlier in the year but it was always out of stock whenever I went to order it from Sinotel but it was available again early last week, so snapped it up. So far, I'm impressed.
Auldgeek - Drew

gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

No probs just updated the FW on mine to 1.76 so that’s fine happy enough with everything on it. As I say great info on the Facebook or io groups pages . I bought mine used and it came with the little stand / cooling fan arrangement as well as the ce-19 data break out box. Enjoy !
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I'm currently looking for a decent dual bander 2/70 analog/DMR rig that will last a bit more than a couple years, its so hard today finding something of quality. The old stuff was well made and lasts but don't have all the features I would like in a single transceiver.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today?

Post by MrWeetabix »

I suppose I best drop the "2018" off this thread name :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Werthers wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 19:18 I'm currently looking for a decent dual bander 2/70 analog/DMR rig that will last a bit more than a couple years, its so hard today finding something of quality. The old stuff was well made and lasts but don't have all the features I would like in a single transceiver.
I've had a couple of dual band Analogue & DMR transceivers. I currently use the Anytone AT-D578UV Pro. My previous radio was the TYT MD9600.
My TYT was the V2 which Moonraker provided as a FOC replacement for my V1 which was sh1te on many levels, including hardware design flaws. The V2 was better but not perfect and I believe the later V3 is very good.
Stay well clear of the V1!!

These two manufacturers provide really good support and release firmware and CPS versions regularly.
There's a tiny Kytera mobile available which has me interested but I think it's still going through a painful early firmware cycle.
Auldgeek - Drew

Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I bought a few Baofeng radios, 3 different models just to see what they are like.

I went for the Baofeng UV-82 I also got a NA-771 antenna to go with it. Not sure if those antennas are any good I'll just have to see. They are probably the same as the RH-771 which are still better than the stock antennas. Looks like a good radio.

I watched a youtube video of the Baofeng UV-9R Plus IP65 rated which would be a good radio to take out on my bottle digging adventures. I doubt its actually IP65 rated but a nice looking radio. I'm hoping the stock antenna on these radios are good. I don't want anything to long for this particular radio as its just going to be used mainly for short range PMR stuff with a bit of Amateur use.

I couldn't resist getting another twin pack of the BF-888S radios.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I picked up a Philips PYE "M 290 Series" transceiver on two meters AM its already converted for 2 meters. Its nice to have an AM two meter radio.
Ellie3nf
New User
New User
Call Sign: G7AJG

Post by Ellie3nf »

looking at a QRM eliminator X phase.. any views would be most welcome.
Chanty Wrassler
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 29E41

Post by Chanty Wrassler »

Recently bought a Retevis RT-85 dual-band handy, and a Yaesu FTM-3100R 2m FM mobile rig, just because I could now.
Accompanied them with a longer rubber duckie for the Retevis (although whether that's any good I've yet to find out) and a dual-band 2m / 70cm , 3/5 element yagi to fire up the local repeaters.
Finding dealing with Wimo is reasonably priced but takes a fortnight to get stuff.