Bought this yesterday ....

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Bought this yesterday ....

Post by sbsshadow »

Hi all

Went to a radio boot sale yesterday and bought this .....

It pushes 10w , which is perfect for now ...

It also came with a Linear AMP which can take it up to 100w

Havnt got an aerial yet so only powered it on so far.

Looks cool ...

Any thoughts ? ..... oh by the way it cost me ?85 including the AMP

Thanks

Steve
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

They were made in the late 70's & into the 80's & ?85 sounds cheap, but rigs are cheaper no,w so maybe thats the normal price.
Has it been wide banded to cover, for example the now expanded 40 meter band ? .
But hey I guess even if not, at ?85 limited band coverage is no major problem.
I like Trio's, I have a couple of them they all seem to be fairly bullet proof & value for money. I for example brought a Trio receiver in about 1981 - 82 & it's still going strong.
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Post by sbsshadow »

I dont know whats been done to it yet ...

I actually bought it off someone that is from the club that I now go to in my area.

Seemed quite cheap as units now days all seem like ?300 - ?400.

So im quite happy that I found it.
I havnt even taken my foundation course yet , so I will only be listening anyway.
Another guy from the club that was there yesterday said he will teach me how to make an arial for listening.

Cant wait .....

Would my Discone work on it ?

Thanks

Steve
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Nope,

A discone won't do. Discones work for VHF/UHF frequencies normally. A certain few cover higher end of HF (25+ Mhz) but that still isn't good enough. They are way too short for HF use, basically.

Go and seek out a G5RV and string it across the garden. A pretty simple straightforward design, or an End Fed Longwire. These can either be purchased or made.

http://www.g3ycc.karoo.net/g5rv.htm - there's an example of how to make a G5RV. Google G5RV and there is lots of topics about them, even about the man himself who made it, the late Louis Varney (RIP).

Enjoy :D
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
sbsshadow
Regular
Regular

Thanks

Post by sbsshadow »

Brilliant .... Thanks

Steve
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

The 120v is a fantastic little rig. I did one up for a friend a couple of years ago and it was excellent - nice clean RX, tidy TX. Ten watts pep is plenty. I don't think they can be wide-banded as they are a simple VFO/XTAL mixer rig, no synthesizers to processors or fiddle with. The only reason I didn't keep it for myself is that it doesn't have 160m!

EDIT: I've been thinking - the rig *does* use a simple synthesizer to generate the 'mix' freqs, but I doubt whether it could be easily fiddled. Actually you don't need to, as each amateur band gets half a meg coverage eg 3.5 to 4MHz and 7.0 to 7.5Mhz so you've already got the extended 40m band and more!
Last edited by Andy on 16 Oct 2006, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Got yourself a bargain there! im sure they regularly sell for more on ebay. I'd love one myself, seems like a great little rig especially at that price, perfect for when you get your M3 :) Given me some hope that i wont need to spend a fortune when i get my M3 aswell!
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

Here's a website that helps you work out the lengths for making your own centerfed wire, amongst other things...
http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/antenna.htm