Handheld devices rules.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Handheld devices rules.

Post by Hair Bear »

Does anyone know how the new regulations affect handheld mike use? I've not been able to find the latest regs (due in force Feb. I think). to try and interprate them.
One person in ten understands binary, the other one doesn't.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Handheld devices rules.

Post by paulears »

Forgive me for being stupid - but what new regulations? OFCOM doesn't have any new info I can see?

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations cover radios, but I can't see any new amendments to anything radio wise?
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Post by Hair Bear »

Sorry, what I was getting at was there are supposed to be new laws regarding use of handheld devices while driving - designed to close loopholes in the current legislation of what will and will not be allowed under law for use while driving. I read it as any thing that you use while driving has to be in a fixed cradle or physically fixed down, thus ruling out the use of hand held microphones.
One person in ten understands binary, the other one doesn't.
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

Hair Bear wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 15:04 Sorry, what I was getting at was there are supposed to be new laws regarding use of handheld devices while driving - designed to close loopholes in the current legislation of what will and will not be allowed under law for use while driving. I read it as any thing that you use while driving has to be in a fixed cradle or physically fixed down, thus ruling out the use of hand held microphones.
I expect it will still be the same so that the cops can use them.
Bigpimpy
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: P1MPY

Post by Bigpimpy »

use of two way radios are exempt from prosecution.
a charge of driving with undue care and attention can be sought instead if proven the radio was at fault.

drive around and use your radio, let us know what happens.

I got pulled and got let off as they thought i wa son my phone, once they saw it was a CB/two way they apologised and let me go on my way.
I want to die asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his passengers, Screaming and Shouting.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The current rules are 100% pointed at phones - but I must admit that the wording clearly means that using a network radio with a hand held microphone IS illegal. I mistakenly believed the hand held mic part made these OK, and the act, when you read it is centred on the frequencies - not the shape or type of radio. It often gets talked about that the mic is important, but using a device in a vehicle that operates on the mobile network frequencies under the control of the driver is the crime.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Mototrbo2020 wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 17:22
Hair Bear wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 15:04 Sorry, what I was getting at was there are supposed to be new laws regarding use of handheld devices while driving - designed to close loopholes in the current legislation of what will and will not be allowed under law for use while driving. I read it as any thing that you use while driving has to be in a fixed cradle or physically fixed down, thus ruling out the use of hand held microphones.
They usually have their radios on their stab-vests close to their mouths, so they're in a fixed position so-to-speak (ooo...another mic' pun, that's 2 tonight). It's not very often that you have a hand-set in cars nowadays.
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

The Collector wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 18:42
Mototrbo2020 wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 17:22
They usually have their radios on their stab-vests close to their mouths, so they're in a fixed position so-to-speak (ooo...another mic' pun, that's 2 tonight). It's not very often that you have a hand-set in cars nowadays.
All cars have a radio built in, traffic vehicles have to have a handheld mic however it's not ment to be used by the driver.