CB'ers and Hams alike, your most exciting contact...

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
InTheClouds

CB'ers and Hams alike, your most exciting contact...

Post by InTheClouds »

whether you are CB'er, freeband DXer or a ham what is you most unlikely, strange or surprising DX moment.. can be a
ground wave/line of sight story or dx.. anything goes.. maybe you used an unlikely antenna, unusual dx stories go here :thumbup:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: CB'ers and Hams alike, your most exciting contact...

Post by ch25 »

P5/4L4FN
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

chatting on SSB one night no skip for months me and mate got a 'break' had a chat to this guy,told us he was in Suriname, thought it was bull..
six months later, QSL cards from an AT member in Suriname..!!

regularly on 26.285 i've heard Iceland,
one day heard some guy with a northern accent shouting his mate, 30dB he was, told him i'd not heard anyone on, and didn't know of anyone 'around here' asked where about he was being local.. he was in Iceland..
half hour chat followed..

on 446 one night heard a bit of a foreign voice,
gave him a call he was in france..
he was using a four stack array of beams and about 200w while i was p1ssing int he wind with 50w..
nice chat though..

there's more, loads more but in 40 years on radio i suppose there would be..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

3 & 4 were cool on 11m
DELETE MY ACCOUNT
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Most unusual was talking to my mate on 11mtrs SSB, He was anchored in the Med on a Royal Navy warship doing some work on the RF amplifier & tuned up on 11mtrs,

Next would be from 41 years ago when I was the first person in this area to work Australia on 11mtrs ssb,

I Talked to Dave BS27 in Freemantle Western Australia on his Hornet 2 CB & vertical 1/2wave,

He was a southern Brit that had emigrated so we were talking for a good while maybe 20 minutes before he asked where I was,
When gave my QTH it went something like this,

"Im near Castleford", "wheres that", "West Yorkshire" "Yorkshire England" "yes" "oh yeh pull the other one, where are you" "Im in yorkshire"
"do you know where i am" "no where" "bloody Freemantle Western Australia" "your kidding me" "No im not mate im in freemantle & i thought you was not far from me. i emigrated down here 3 years ago"

I was as surprised as he was is this a windup,

He swapped to his beam & pointed my way then phoned his mate to see if he could make the trip, his mate was an Aussie so i was convinced,
They did some antenna tests with me, I think we talked for about 1 hour 20 minutes before conditions shifted & I lost him, never spoke to him again,

He sent me a Black swan dx club qsl card & postcard from Freemantle with a nice message, Its the only qsl card I still have.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
Tim Tom
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26SW010

Post by Tim Tom »

I don't have many or any interesting stories apart from a qso with a Russian station on 20 meters while using just a cheap cb springer antenna
26-SW-010
26-TM-087

Tim The Milky Bar Kid
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Post by dt630 »

Antarctica on 20m several times.
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Over 40 years ago when I was new to CB I was on holiday in Cornwall, we were at the lizard and I had a magmount on my dads car with the CB and headphones on.
Skip was up and I contacted a reverand on the Isle of sky, I even knew of him through other things.
I was so excited I got told to shut up as I was so noisy.

Since then the best was merely hearing some guy in Melbourne, but then he did have stacked 80 yagi's on a 200+ ft mast lol