Too much noise.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
QRZ-934

Too much noise.

Post by QRZ-934 »

Last year was pretty good for me with DX, I made a load of contacts, spoke daily to a guy in Poland had a lot of fun working the stations I could hear.

This year isnt going to happen.
Over the winter months Ive started to get absolutely deafening qrm, sounds like a car ignition thats chucking out spurious all over the band.
Some days its present from 24mhz to over 30mhz.
Im thinking, well Im pretty sure its the oafs next door and next door but one with their crappy tv thatd be at home in an outdoor theatre and the other lot of idiots with their fancy brothel lights.

So Its pointless keeping the homebase antenna up now, or making the mounting pole to raise it on cos theres just too much noise.
Over 9 on the meter with the rf gain knocked off.
My only way out is move house or just work mobile and take all the gear with me but thats a ballache and Im not sure Im going to bother.
I can even hear the noise on FM 40 muppets and on 446.
If I go mobile and round the block it comes and goes so its not coming from very far away, but such is the fact that my neighbours are all divs who need the application of a wooden implement across their heads, itd be pointless to try to get them to sort out their racket.
What a load.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Too much noise.

Post by MrWeetabix »

Ah thats really crap to hear matie. Have you maybe thought of trying a X-Phase QRM eliminator as a last resort?
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 21:36 Ah thats really crap to hear matie. Have you maybe thought of trying a X-Phase QRM eliminator as a last resort?
I was actually reading about those devices on here last night but Im dissuaded from spending anything on something that might not work when I know for sure that packing it all up in the car and setting up on a remote hill will definitely cure it!
If I take a suitable petrol generator with me id be able run good power also without it switching anyones tv over...... :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Perhaps if you could get a second hand one to try, then if it doesn't work you can just re-sell it and hopefully not lose any money on it :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Have a friend/family countryside? Get SDR receiver, set it at his/her place. Transmit from home, listen remote.
I do it similar way, live in the middle of big city, got my station out of city limits. With remote access I do DX even from cross country train.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Thanks for the replies and advice, much appreciated.

Havent got any relatives in the countryside Ch25 so cant go that route.
Interesting idea though, Id never have thought of that, thanks for that solution. :)
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

A X-phase neighbour eliminator would be the best device to try ;)

Or...do them a deal, they sort the QRM out, or you constantly change their TV channels over with your power gizmo - hehe!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

If I remember correctly someone on here had similar problems which they solved by using a mains extention lead on the PSU but left coiled up in its reel. I think it was our very own Buick on here.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

NightProwler wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 09:09 If I remember correctly someone on here had similar problems which they solved by using a mains extention lead on the PSU but left coiled up in its reel. I think it was our very own Buick on here.
interesting approach.

You could also try using ferrites on the power cable perhaps :thumbup:

Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

NightProwler wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 09:09 If I remember correctly someone on here had similar problems which they solved by using a mains extention lead on the PSU but left coiled up in its reel. I think it was our very own Buick on here.
Yeah your right rich, It didn't cure the crap coming from my neighbours heating system but it got rid of mains bourn QRM. Another way of doing it is sticking a safety capacitor across the socket you use to power your shack.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?