Best Loft CB Antenna?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
miggy999
Regular
Regular

Re: Best Loft CB Antenna?

Post by miggy999 »

Fatbill911 wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 18:46 Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the advice! Think what I'll do is set up a CB shack in the shed at the bottom of the garden! I'll chuck a pole on the side of the shed and an antenna. The cold will be worth it for the better performance! :P
I'm going through the attic CB/11m antenna thought process too at the moment. What did you end up going for Fatbill911?
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Fatbill911 wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 18:46 Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the advice! Think what I'll do is set up a CB shack in the shed at the bottom of the garden! I'll chuck a pole on the side of the shed and an antenna. The cold will be worth it for the better performance! :P
If you have a garden why on earth would you put an antenna in your loft? anything outside will be much better.

I could understand if you didn't have a garden and the loft was your only option. A mobile CB antenna in the loft is going to be poop. You could maybe get away with having two tank whips horizontally polarized in a dipole configuration or vertical if you have a mighty huge loft otherwise having it horizontal would be a better fit. It also depends on many things such as the size of your loft and whats in your walls and roof. You could end up with RF feedback and all sorts so never a good idea anyway unless there really was no other option.

There are plenty of things you can put in your garden.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Try and squeeze a wire dipole up there. 8 feet 6" going up and the same along the floor. That will be the best option for a loft. Coax choke at the base.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Two 9 foot tank whips in a 3/8 dipole center connector in the garden 18 foot total length. You can also get dipole center 3/8 connectors in a V shape to put on top of the shed. That would be the best option. No messing about tuning, just put it all together job done. You can also pick up Antron99 antennas pretty cheaply and that would work nicely as well. I wish I had a garden lots of options there.