Van antenna help

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
KB312
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: KB312

Van antenna help

Post by KB312 »

Hi all.
I’m now setting up my VW T4 campervan for CB, SSB.
It’s a high top camper, so the roof is none metal and too high for a Magmount.
I’m not having the antenna fixed, but to just to attach it for static DX’ing. The storage area in the camper to store the antenna when travelling is 1m width. I bought a stainless CTE Bonnet mount and its fixed to the front bonnet on the far passenger side.

Questions.
I am looking for an the best antenna for DX use that can fit a 1m storage length. I am looking for a longer antenna that can be taken apart for this use?
I have also read that I middle or top load antenna is better due to the location of the mount on the van. Is this correct.
I was looking at a Thunderpole Atom. Any good for my purpose?

Thanks in advance.
Rob.

PS Could I get away with my magmount on the bonnet???
Last edited by KB312 on 10 Apr 2021, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Bob - KB312.
Old to the Hobby but new to the game!
CB, SSB, PMR446 & Network Radio
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: Van antenna help

Post by Otter »

I've had two tundepole atoms and a friend has had one. On two different cars we haven't managed to get a decent SWR on any of them. The SWR minimum appears to be on frequency, it's just that it's over 2.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Have a look at a Modulator II (2). It's a decent (not too cheap though) aerial and as it's centre-loaded, it can be split into 2 parts for storage.
KB312
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: KB312

Post by KB312 »

Forum issues here.
I found a quick and good resolution on Zello within minutes.
Bob - KB312.
Old to the Hobby but new to the game!
CB, SSB, PMR446 & Network Radio
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Talking about the magmount on the bonnet, you could do seeing as it's only being used when parked up. You can buy an adjustable angle adapter so the magmount could be used on a vertical steel surface with the aerial set at 90 degrees. The higher the better though, so the more aerial you can get showing above the bodywork, the better you'll get out.