Sirio 2016 on scaffold pole ?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Sirio 2016 on scaffold pole ?

Post by gmham »

Guys bit of advice required if anyone would ? ...my idea is to mount a 20foot 2”alloy scaffold pole to a 2.8 mtr square wooden fence post with the bottom 3 foot of the post set into concrete below ground level leaving the remainder of the fence post to hold the first five foot of the scaffold pole .
So questions are does this sound okay and if so whats the best way to secure the 2” scaff pole to this fence post ? ..guessing possibly two stand off brackets using coach bolts to secure the brackets themselves ?

Will be a Sirio 2016 on top of the pole with a set of guys on the scaffold pole.

Thoughts ? Alternative ideas and if possible any pics of similar set ups ?

Cheers guys.
John
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: Sirio 2016 on scaffold pole ?

Post by bigpimp347 »

optimum height would be at about 21ft so height wise would be ok.

all depends how big the fence post is ?? i assume 4x4 ??
a simple three wire guy up half way will be ok if there's no much wind,
but you don't want to guy up the pole to rigid or the antenna will take all the stress.
but not too loose that is weakens the post..

can you not just concrete a steel scaff in to the ground say three or four foot deep leaving a foot or two exposed and use swizzle clamps to attach it to it ??
easier to lower and raise and probably more stable, and won't need guys..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Okay cheers mark appreciate your input mate, will check the swizzle clamps out as it’s something I have never used before.

Not sure if I follow you because surely if there is only say two foot of steel post comming out of the ground where it has been set into concrete to then attach a 20 foot pole and then 20 foot antenna itself to then it would be immense pressure on just a couple of clamps at the bottom of it all ?

Sorry if I have picked you up wrong ?!

P.s yes sorry plan was to use a 4x4 fence post.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Don't worry about swivel clamps, they are stronger than the aluminium scaffold pole & ^MUCH^ stronger & longer lasting than a 4x4 fence post,

i see no reason to use anything but scaffold poles for cb antennas, steel in the ground alloy for the rest so it sways in high wind to protect the antenna like PIMP said,
much stronger than anything from a cb/ham shop.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Personally I'd probably try using large jubilee clips... maximising the surface contact between the pole and the post would be structurally better than and sort of stand off clamps IMHO.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I personally wouldn't use a wooden or even a concrete post to support a swaying pole. Something will likely crack at some point. You used to be able to buy black ABS fence posts as I fitted some to the front fencing on my old house in Birmingham. That would at least flex a bit, wouldn't go rotten and shouldn't crack. As it has a groove down 2 opposing sides, the pole can nestle into one and you'd probably just need a fixing about a foot from the top to secure it ;)
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Okay thanks buddy also appreciate your input always great to hear of alternative ideas. Would a solid well maintained 4x4 post split thou if its concreted into the ground ? The solid plastic post sounds great but fixing the support pole to it would be the issue unless I used steel band fixings ?

The cantenna tilt system on ebay sounds great buy way to expensive . Basically a steel section support with a pulley to raise the mast vertical. Uses clamps on the main upright section to secure the mast in place. Burry about a foot and a half in concrete.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

gmham wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 16:36 Okay thanks buddy also appreciate your input always great to hear of alternative ideas. Would a solid well maintained 4x4 post split thou if its concreted into the ground ? The solid plastic post sounds great but fixing the support pole to it would be the issue unless I used steel band fixings ?

The cantenna tilt system on ebay sounds great buy way to expensive . Basically a steel section support with a pulley to raise the mast vertical. Uses clamps on the main upright section to secure the mast in place. Burry about a foot and a half in concrete.

I'd personally double that depth ^ concrete-wise if sonething big's going up, plus get rid of the nylock nuts too! All that weight in the wind being held by 1mm of nylon thread is NOT a good idea! By all means use the nylocks on top of some steel ones to stop them coming undone, but I certainly wouldn't rely on them preventing the aerial and mast stripping the threads and it all dropping down one windy night ;) Hopefully the winch locks in place which will help if it does go pear-shaped as the cable should take most of the strain.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Cheers buddy appreciate the additional advice. Yes although I doubt if I will be going for the cantenna mast holder will take your advice and sure anything stuck into concrete is a good depth down.
To be fair even at just 31 inches in the ground and set with concrete could it potentially fail at this point say compared to something say 62 inches into the ground and again set into concrete ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

31" is more than enough for a 4" wooden post unless your garden soil is like a sand dune,
how much concrete and how deep totally depends on what you are digging your hole into,

Bear in mind wood rots & it snaps under load without warning, the clue is in the advertising "Timber products",

Then you need to strap it or find some kind of brackets that either won't swivel to lay it down or will need a bit of ingenuity like cutting a swivel clamp in half & bolting the two half's through the post with coach bolts,

i use forged not pressed swivels https://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/sc ... r-25-.aspx

A galvanised steel scaffold pole in the ground with 2 or 3 swivel clamps will never snap or bend in UK winds with a only 21ft of aluminium scaffold pole & sirio swinging on it,

its easy to raise & lower & manipulate the clamps on your own & you can straighten the mast by twisting the clamps even if the pole in the ground has a lean to it.

easy safe & possibly the least expensive way of sticking a sirio on a 21ft pole that will stay there.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

whatever you choose, be sure to guy it if you can. Belt and braces is always a good option :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Yep thanks pointed noted re. Guy wires and not too far up so as to still allow a bit sway in the mast / antenna.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——