Sorry Same old aerial question

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Sorry Same old aerial question

Post by The Collector »

I would've suggested that myself as I've upgraded from the Antron to an Imax, but as 17ft was requested I thought I'd stick to it fibreglass-wise.

P.S.You have to just guy-rope the whippy top section on an Imax :lol:
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 163ct220

Post by Alan Pilot »

Thanks for all the info chaps.
It is due today so i will take my time (i have to lol) and study all info given and the aerial itself before it goes up.
The pole is only 3mtr and T&K brackets about 1.5mtr up the wall so not that high but that's the best i can do due to location and neighbours if you know what i mean.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you can't mount it any higher, then having a slightly longer aerial (6ft approx longer than an Antron) will certainly help matters. As long as most of the aerial clears the building you should still get out pretty well.
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Pilot »

Collector
I live in a small bungalow so the bottom of the aerial is almost level with the ridge tiles.
The old 2011 skip-master did ok and that was only just over 14ft (actually found another one new on the bay yesterday so i bought it as a backup)..
Must go delivery has arrived oooooooooooooooooooo time to play.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Alan Pilot wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 11:54 Collector
I live in a small bungalow so the bottom of the aerial is almost level with the ridge tiles.
The old 2011 skip-master did ok and that was only just over 14ft (actually found another one new on the bay yesterday so i bought it as a backup)..
Must go delivery has arrived oooooooooooooooooooo time to play.
NEW TOYS! :-D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

TM1 is now on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB || New Tango Mike QSL cards https://tinyurl.com/TM1-NewQSL
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Pilot »

Well it's up.
Couldn't make any sense of that tuning table so i did what Simon the wizard did in his youtube video and just fasten the brass bit on the end.
SWR is 1 to 1 on 26.000 and up to around 1 to 1.3 on 27.900 so it will do for me.
I did manage to lose one part between the gap's in my decking and no prizes for the person who can tell me what it was lol.
All i need now is somebody on the 555 to get a report from to see if it is actually working but it's dead my end.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've recently ripped up our old decking as one of the large conifer's roots that border the side of our garden had pushed it up somewhat, plus some of the joists were starting to rot (I've put slabs down now). When I took the planks up, I found about half-a-dozen pencils, a couple of drill bits, a screwdriver bit and holder plus a good dozen screws that'd dropped in there from doing various projects on it over the years! It was a good little work area on dry days.
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Pilot »

Did hear one station last night early on and he heard me but then it dropped out again.
I think it was that Ex pat John ??? i think his name is and he is on a lot when there is some life but i can't remember his location.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

For the best way of checking if it's working well, see if you can get a radio check from someone on Am/FM in the distance that's not riding the skip. That'll tell you if your set-up is working nicely. If you can reach 30-40 miles then it's a job well done :)
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Pilot »

Collector
Thanks for your reply.
I would if i could but never hear anybody round my neck of the woods (Anglesey).
Been around radio since the late 70s and was the local (North Wales) rig doctor for many years but a divorce put pay to that and all my kit (Bitch sold the lot).
Got back into the hobby around a year ago but won't be doing any repairs just the odd one for myself.
Had a radio set on 19 from around 7am but nothing not even the trucks coming off the boat in Holyhead.
One day soon i hope lol.
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Pilot »

wa10 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 14:01

The tubes sirio use for the Gain-Master are a loose fit which causes you to crush the outer tube clamping it down to grip the inner tube like you would a cheap gp27,

unidirectional grp tube acts mechanically more like a glass tube or graphite fishing rod than it does an aluminium tube when you crush it or lever inside the end of a tube,

imho its best to not use the hose clamps to deform the loose fitting tube as you would with a cheap ill fitting aluminium antenna,
the hose clamps only need to provide radial support like a bandage,

a layer of tape around the inner tube so that it is a tight twist fit with zero rocking action before you tape over the joint provides all the grip you need, then the hose clamps can be gently fit to provide radial support without crushing & cracking the sections before its even up in the air,

most gain-masters are cracked when they are assembled from new using sirio's instructions.
I took your advice with the tape but they must have got better as 1 wrap of tape made it difficult to slide the pipes together.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Alan Pilot wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 10:30 Collector
Thanks for your reply.
I would if i could but never hear anybody round my neck of the woods (Anglesey).
Been around radio since the late 70s and was the local (North Wales) rig doctor for many years but a divorce put pay to that and all my kit (Bitch sold the lot).
Got back into the hobby around a year ago but won't be doing any repairs just the odd one for myself.
Had a radio set on 19 from around 7am but nothing not even the trucks coming off the boat in Holyhead.
One day soon i hope lol.
It's always handy to have another "rig doctor" on here, even if it's just to dish out the occasional technical information. The limit to my iwn radio technical ability is soldering on PL259's and mic' plugs (with help about which wires go where ;) ). Welcome back to the (much quieter) world of CB radio!

Well let's hope you make the occasional "ground wave" contact, as it might get boring talking to the Same people in America, France, Spain, Italy and the rest of the world ;)
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Pilot »

Radio's have changed a lot since i was doing them 26 years ago.
Also my brain and memory have deteriorated especially the memory.
Oh and don't forget the eyesight.
I have no chance lol.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

In 70s we went on a massive sheeptown convoy from breakers all over to ynyslas borth sands. I remember in Aberystwyth one of the pubs the landlady and few other locals on a.m cb back then all illegal like came up to the beach then many frequented her pub latter lol.
I'm not sure but gigs rings a bell for her then handle.for some reason so does Nod.?.

Being in North Wales likely no contact or heard of them but back in late 70s their were several in the Aberystwyth area I recall.

Nice one 're the antenna up and running.result. Rig doc to boot.cool
Alan Pilot
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Pilot »

Just watching this aerial in the little bit of wind we have today and i feel seasick lol.
So parts for the guying are on the way i just put my order in with Sotabeams.
They have all you need in kit form or in parts to do your own thing.