Antenna mounting question(s)

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: Antenna mounting question(s)

Post by original45 »

I have a couple of silver rod types one is thicker tuning better made than the other I'm sure.the better one has a very low swr across UK th and eu 40 block.
Strangely the poor version won't drop bellow 1.8 on channels 30 -40 at all dispute any ajustment.
Antennas are weird things.
Playing around with my baofeng uv5 pointing it at 45 degree around in a circle looking to see if I can get a stronger signal from a weak one barely heard works too.
I can only guess whilst vertical omnidirectional designed they must also work in forms of directional mounted too.

My silver rod types both swr better if connected to trampoline where I do all my ajustments.
However I have my base about 9' above the top of the other poles.swr drops when this is done.

Nice to hear your working well.keep at it .not had a radio on since collector and I had a couple hours qso weeks back.
Lack of time.

Atvb and enjoy
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Are your streetlights coming on about 7pm? Could be causing the hash if they are perhaps, especially if they're LED.

The 45 degree angle possibly shows it's angle radiation pattern then and probably would be 35-40 degrees from the vertical plane if it was a longer aerial.

Sounds like you're having fun with it anyway, which is half the battle ;)
Captain Fantastic
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 15TM911

Post by Captain Fantastic »

OK here are some numbers from my testing, just to keep you interested. Or not.

I'm at 630m ASL with clear view SW 9km over a lake at 400m until 700m hills. Behind NE is a hill rising to 750m after 1.5km with a drop the other side down to 350m. NW is clear for 20km and then 700m hills.

Radio: Jackson II Classic

Silver pole is Albrecht GPA 27 mounted on trampoline as above, feed is approx. 2.7m above ground. SWR is close to 1:1

Dipole is horizontal home made and is orientated North-South with the N end pointing up 45deg to horizontal. SWR is close to 1:1

Tested on channels 4, 20 (or19) and 38, on bands EU, AM, USB and LSB

The measurements are:
R = Radio 1 - 5
S = Signal 1 - 9
On the test days, the background signal was S3, the weather the same clear and sunny, about 25degC

WebSDR #1 is 12km on a bearing 60deg (i.e. approx ENE)
WebSDR #2 is 20km on a bearing 290deg (i.e. approx WNW)

Silver Pole -> WebSDR #1: mostly R4 S6 across everything
Silver Pole -> WebSDR #2: pretty much R5 S7 on everything
>>> this is probably because of the hill behind me impacting WebSDR #1 compared to the clear view WNW to WebSDR #2 and costing me 1 R and 1 S point?

Dipole -> WebSDR #1: Ch4 on all bands R0 S3 so nothing is getting out! Across the whole of FM the same nothing. But on AM USB and LSB 20 and 38 R4 S5
Dipole -> WebSDR #2: Almost all at R5 S9 !!! Lowest was LSB04 at R4 S8...
>>> so again, I am guessing that the clear view WNW to SDR #2 and the hill blocking SDR #1 are playing a big factor, especially on FM?

My real puzzle is why does the dipole to Web SDR #1 produce R0 on FM, and on CH04 again R0 on AM USB and LSB? Whereas on the higher bands AM SSB we are back up to R4 S5?

What can cause this, anyone know?
Last edited by Captain Fantastic on 18 Sep 2020, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.
15TM911 - Moonfish 79
Captain Fantastic
Regular
Regular

And thanks for the comments. Yes, having fun!

They are gradually installing LED street lights around here, yes. We have one close by, but I just checked now at 7:30 and it's not yet lit.
I asked the guy testing about the noise, and he says it does go up in general in the evening all around - we are less than 10km from Zurich city, folks are driving home with mobile phones going, radios on, all that stuff. I just was happy it wasn't just me and is not my radio or set up!

There was a CB competition here last weekend. Country-wide - although it's a tiny country!
There were about 20 stations registered, so I listened in and managed to get heard by some so I helped them get win a few points. My longest distance was 120km on just the 4W we both were putting out. Others were easily +60km.

I'm actually getting much more confident now. I have listened a lot and sort of know the terms they are using, a lot of amateur radio Q-codes and such-like, but also how it works during a call and a round. All in Swiss-German too! I actually asked a guy if can speak English, but he said he was not very good and though I spoke good enough German so we will carry on like that I guess. I must confess it is really making me concentrate carefully on what they are saying and hopefully might help improve my poor-quality German a tiny bit!
15TM911 - Moonfish 79
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

How's it all going so far...any more good contacts etc? ;)
Captain Fantastic
Regular
Regular

The Collector wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 11:22 How's it all going so far...any more good contacts etc? ;)
Thanks for asking!

Nothing from the UK so far, I guess conditions have not been right for that. But generally 'yes'!
I seem to suffer a little from noise in the evenings as everyone jumps in the car to drive home, and the LED street lights come on. But that is life.

The GPA 27 is still on the trampoline, and I get out with signal 7 pretty well despite it being just 2.5 - 3.0m off the ground. I've made a good number of contacts, and actually got accepted on the Swiss CB facebook page and had a lot of positive responses from the guys who QSO'd with me already. Even commenting they find it cool to hear my English accent speaking German, and some of them are tempted to switch over to English!

I bought a new dipole the other week, but did not get a chance to put it up yet. The intention is to drive somewhere and be 'static-mobile' on that at some point just to see how it goes.

This last weekend I was away and driving back over a pass around 800m with clear views, which gave a great opportunity to listen out with the Wilson Lil Wil mounted on the top of the Cali and managed to hear quite a lot although I didn't jump in - I wish I had now!

Overall I've logged about 40 contacts and over 70 QSO's - and counting. Maybe I will go sit on a mountain top and see how many I can log in an afternoon or something? That would be fun. I literally just spoke to an old guy about 55km away which I find pretty OK on 4W FM across the alps.

I'm hoping that when I get over to the UK again I can call into the CT Southern Thursday SSB round. The guy is up on the Berkshire downs which is not far from where I am based over there.
15TM911 - Moonfish 79
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Now that summer's been and gone, you may find a drop in long-distance contacts for a few months now, but hopefully you can still pick up the odd one, plus you'll still have your ground-wave chats with the locals.

My aerial's still not up as I decided that I needed a slightly bigger pulley wheel on the top of the 20ft alloy pole. The small one I have I feel is a bit too small and may flatten the steel cable as the cable goes around it in a tight loop whilst under pressure.

I've bought one off ebay and now need to weld up a bracket for it to sit in and also a piece of metal around it to stop the cable jumping off the pulley for any reason. It'll be a pain the have to take it all down if the cable annoyingly does that.

There's no mad rush though as I don't talk on the thing anyway ;)