So what do you clean your radios with externally ?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Transwarp
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Viper

Re: So what do you clean your radios with externally ?

Post by Transwarp »

Multi surface Mr Sheen or Pledge, always fine for me. Because of covid-19 it's Dettol wipes for the time being with a bit of a polish up afterwards now and then. Practice safe radio operating people :thumbup:
"Did video really kill the radio star?"
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Dirty radios can be a good thing (As long as it isn't nicotine)

You can buy them a lot cheaper, and then clean them up. Many times I have removed the dirt from a recently aquired radio and found it to be in nearly mint condition underneath.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I now know where these really mucky radios come from...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cousinjack
Regular
Regular

Post by Cousinjack »

I can compete with that:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Had a go with a soft baby wipe, seemed to work very well indeed. One that I struggle with is curly Mic leads that are brown with gunk.How why gets me , normally support each end and soak in hot water with soap powder but even that takes ages to wipe the gunk off after still.
Nothing radio related about locally at moment, but disapointing.

Did spot a quarter roll of rg223 got to have been a 1000 met roll as it was a huge wooden real .just not sure I could use it .
Missing my little radio finds for couple quid, more so the cleaning and silly jobs when home with them.
sad really. Probably the only time I pick up the vacume cleaner and a soft paint brush lol
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

I might wipe the dust off every year if it builds up and hinders the viewing of the display or the s-meter but as long as it does not effect the quality or range of transmission I am unable to see the point of cleaning radios unless I was selling one of course.

In my opinion any chemicals will aesthetically destroy your radios eventually, it will just be very gradual so will not notice until it is too late

As far as Covid-19 is concerned, I am the only person that touches my radios and my hands are always clean.

We all have different ideas about things I suppose and most of my gear is covered over when not in use anyway.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
John555
Regular
Regular

Post by John555 »

original45 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 10:12 Will see if I can get some rigid foam.

I have had radios with a 1 to 2mm coating of dust on board, all over .power packs worse.
Nothing worse than a greasy Mic with cigarette smoke from 70s
Omg scruffs
When I was a lad I bought a second hand Bremi BRL200 valve linear, every time I switched it on and it warmed up it smelt like a working mens club from the 70s. Worse than that is an old Jukebox I bought (much to the missus annoyance) as the inside was thick with nicotine, you could literally scrape it off !
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

original45 wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 11:14 Had a go with a soft baby wipe, seemed to work very well indeed. One that I struggle with is curly Mic leads that are brown with gunk.How why gets me , normally support each end and soak in hot water with soap powder but even that takes ages to wipe the gunk off after still.

Do that soaking process with plenty of washing up liquid as a degreaser, then stretch the cable slightly so there's a quarter-inch gap between the coils and then go up and down the middle with a long-handled baby's bottle cleaning brush a dozen or so times. Going round the coils with a wet-wipe can be time consuming but gets off nearly all the crud the bottle brush can't shift or get to. If there's still a bit of grime, use some Cif (Jif) cleaner/cream which is like T-cut and will gently scour as it cleans. The rag you use will go a bit black though ;)
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Mikel I agree , I remember having several radios in the day and dusting off cleaning regular thinking it's the way to go only to find surface scratches especially on channel display lenses cover.
And chrome looking bezel too.
In general I pretty much only clean older used and grubby radio gear I pay couple quid for and they are often disgusting.

Collector , oh god smell of fags on radio gear is nasty.
I have one like that ,seems to get worse once warm. Has anyone found a solution to the smell of fags ,not talking full clean here but maybe a sliced onion b ot h placed in a bag to absorb the smell ?.
I have a small bottle brush now I bought to make a de pinger with half so can utilise it on cables.

Must admit after days of cleaning the 2 base Mic I bought and not being able to get either to transmit my audio was rough.will have a bother bash when kids go school.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

original45 wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 16:28
Collector , oh god smell of fags on radio gear is nasty.
I have one like that ,seems to get worse once warm. Has anyone found a solution to the smell of fags ,not talking full clean here but maybe a sliced onion b ot h placed in a bag to absorb the smell ?.

Acidic brickwash and a high-powered pressure washer ;)
MorseMan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Post by MorseMan »

Tim wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 08:18 A mate of mine bought a s/h boxed 450D that was missing the foam inserts so I used mine as a template and made them, they are not polystyrene, they are a sort of expanded plastic dense rigid foam.
Put the radio in a bag & a bag inside the box then fill with expanding foam.
MorseMan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Post by MorseMan »

There used to be a spray called somthing like ambasol
It was a cleaning mild solvent & was excelent