Strong Tropo Sunday 6pm to midnight - Advanced warning !

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
InTheClouds

Strong Tropo Sunday 6pm to midnight - Advanced warning !

Post by InTheClouds »

The UK, south especially (and Ireland) is going to see some strong Tropospheric ducting/warm air lift this coming Sunday 05 July 18:00 - 00:00 so it looks like it would be a good evening for some long distance UK contacts, I thought I would mention this as it gives you a bit of a chance to arrange your weekend if of interest.

With luck there can be some 300 mile contacts in the offing. :thumbup: Fingers crossed it will boost expected contact distances for the 11m band.

No guarantees of course but in the radio hobby, the more the merrier !
A respect all radio users attitude, then the hobby will endure.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Strong Tropo Sunday 6pm to midnight - Advanced warning !

Post by MrWeetabix »

Thanks for the heads up. I may pull out the old Muppet box for that old-skool feel :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

TM1 is now on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB || New Tango Mike QSL cards https://tinyurl.com/TM1-NewQSL
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Sorry a false alarm as it seems to have dissipated and drifted south a bit, missing the U.K. I learnt something there, things can change
even over a few days with the forecast.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

One thing that never changes is when we have Southern European propagation 80% of what you hear on the calling frequencies are idiots!
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

When the Sporadic E is running, which is pretty much daily with the odd quiet day in summer months there is always the whistlers etc. Ola's, music players, deaf station locals chatting. Just call and QSY for the DX. Just because you are hearing them does not mean everyone elsewhere in Europe is. The carcophony of 11m is part of the fun, overly organized DX is easier but not everyone's cuppa, whatever floats your boat.

Cutting through is a bit of a problem at times it has to be said especially without a beam so you can be more selective, just have to crack on. Enjoy your moments.

As the Tropo is now going to mainly be over France we can expect many very strong French stations to have to navigate. My experience is that French stations tend to operate well but too many of any station makes DX extra hard work.