DMR Cb?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
QRZ-934

DMR Cb?

Post by QRZ-934 »

Just wondering if such a thing is doable?
Was just thinking of the advantages especially as cb is usually good at distances ( moreso with a few watts more).
After using the dmr I currently have id think itd be a great addition to the cb radio hobby if such a thing was produced by one of the makers, something like a lincoln 2 or a ss6900 with analogue and digital modes would be a fine addition I reckon.
Only downside is it might be a litle less fun as digital is usually crystal clear where analogue is more challenging.
Still, id buy one if it ever came to pass.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: DMR Cb?

Post by ch25 »

You really want CB to sound like Donald Duck with tampaxes in the nose?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

ch25 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 15:01 You really want CB to sound like Donald Duck with tampaxes in the nose?
:lol: :lol:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

QRZ-934 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:46 Just wondering if such a thing is doable?
Was just thinking of the advantages especially as cb is usually good at distances ( moreso with a few watts more).
After using the dmr I currently have id think itd be a great addition to the cb radio hobby if such a thing was produced by one of the makers, something like a lincoln 2 or a ss6900 with analogue and digital modes would be a fine addition I reckon.
Only downside is it might be a litle less fun as digital is usually crystal clear where analogue is more challenging.
Still, id buy one if it ever came to pass.
It wouldn't work, at least not on the current 10khz channels. The DMR service on VHF & UHF uses TDMA, requiring 12.5khz or 25khz channels. TDMA splits the channel, so that you have two simultaneous transmissions (time slots}. Trying to squeeze that within a 10khz channel, where max deviation is +/- 2.5khz, just wouldn't provide the necessary bandwidth. I'm not sure I agree that digital sounds clearer than analogue but are you comparing current CB narrowband modes to TDMA? If yes, I could agree but it's nowhere near as good as conventional narrowband FM used on the amateur or commercial PMR service. Digital by its design, is highly compressed.

Just my humble opinion but can't see the attraction on 27Mhz.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

ch25 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 15:01 You really want CB to sound like Donald Duck with tampaxes in the nose?
Some of my copies have sounded worse.... :D

I only asked as I have a couple of uhf handhelds that are digital and at 15 miles theyre crystal clear, it was juts a thought. :thumbup:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

I was playing with WinDRM and freedv on CB back in a day. But there is PC involved.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I've used freedv on 80m - The audio wasn't your nasal DMR sound, its was eerie high quality.
Anyway we gave up on it, used too much power (constant carrier) and just felt wrong in too many ways.