CB handhelds, why so expensive.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

CB handhelds, why so expensive.

Post by Mudslinger »

I was just thinking about this today.

Why is it that CB handhelds are so much more expensive to buy than UHF/VHF sets?

The UHF ones are also considerably smaller, have more coverage and channels and have better technology.

This is the radio which got me thinking, as it looks very much like dual band VHF/HF set but is on CB.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/TTI-TCB-H100-CB ... Swq6xez5PL

Thoughts? It cannot just be about economies of scale? Baofeng would certainly sell lots of handheld CB's if they cost a similar amount to their UV-5R...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Tim Tom
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26SW010

Re: CB handhelds, why so expensive.

Post by Tim Tom »

My guess would possibly be demand? It's sort of the same with base stations. Nobody really makes base stations anymore, and if they do it's surprisingly cheaper to just buy a amateur rig which can access 27mhz and use that!

(Disclaimer, I do not in anyway condone buying licensed equipment and operating without a license... Ignore the jolly roger, that's just for show)
26-SW-010
26-TM-087

Tim The Milky Bar Kid
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Yup if baofeng could nock up a half decent handy like the uv5 but covering cb ssb am fm maybe it would certainly be the muts nuts n sell like toilet rolls during pandemic
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Modern CB handies are at a bit of a disadvantage with the small rubber duck aerials, they're very poor and range is very limited. UHF handies are much better with small aerials so less power, more battery life etc. Old school walkie talkies on the other hand used 4ft and 5ft aerials so tended to work better imo. I've got a few of the old Lafayette 3, 12, 23 & 40 ch ones in the attic. Good battery life too from AA's. I like old stuff but the long aerials are too fragile and useless indoors, lol.
The perfect face for radio.
Buick Mackane
Legend
Legend

Post by Buick Mackane »

original45 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 11:20 Yup if baofeng could nock up a half decent handy like the uv5 but covering cb ssb am fm maybe it would certainly be the muts nuts n sell like toilet rolls during pandemic
Yeah and would be just as much sh1t
I Was asked to QSL Via the Bureau, But the FBI Said i'll be prosecuted if i phone them again, :shock:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Baofengs and similar are pile of crap, so they are not expensive.
Good equipment must cost.
Chris
You can't have too many antennas...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Long telescopic handheld aerials were great for playing Zorro with in the early 80's.

Oh..was that just me??? Sorry.
Buick Mackane
Legend
Legend

Post by Buick Mackane »

More like why are CB/s in general so expensive when the band is as busy as a rolf harris art exhibition
I Was asked to QSL Via the Bureau, But the FBI Said i'll be prosecuted if i phone them again, :shock:
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

ch25 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 18:41 Baofengs and similar are pile of crap, so they are not expensive.
Good equipment must cost.
Chris
I have a couple. They are not brilliant but considering what they cost and what they cover...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Buick Mackane wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 20:32 More like why are CB/s in general so expensive when the band is as busy as a rolf harris art exhibition
I think that's part of the problem. Usually in business, the more you buy of something from the factory the cheaper it gets, so if sales are slow and you only order 10 units at a time, you're going to pay a higher price for them.

Order 100,000 Amstrads like Lord Sugar probably did back then and he probably got them for about £3 each.