Antenna Identification help needed please...

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ChrisMagpie
Call Sign: 26TM553

Re: Antenna Identification help needed please...

Post by ChrisMagpie »

I recognise the antenna as a "LEMM mini GP DX" :)
I got mine from Truck King, back in the day (1987 ish)
My dad knew someone who ran a metalwork engineering shop, who put a really neat 90 degree bend in the end of the mounting bracket, so we could screw it to the fascia board on the gable end of the house. It was an inconspicuous install. A legal antenna, from the era of antenna legislation.
It was fine in the days when we only had UK40, but, in 1988, when I got an additional rig for the mid block, I found that the Lemm wouldn't SWR across both blocks. It was too narrow banded. I got a Bremi matcher (also from Truck King) to bring the SWR down on mid.

One day, there was a big storm (high winds) and the SWR went into the red. I discovered that two of the three ground plane legs had gone open circuit. I don't think they were really up to the job, for being outside.
It got replaced with T&K brackets (made in the same engineering shop), a five foot steel pole, and a "Hi-Gain Silver Rod mark2 (legal version)" which was 1.65m long (the antenna rules had changed slightly, at the time). That was much more weatherproof, and it would SWR across both blocks. Happy days! :thumbup:

See page 38 here:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ar ... 988-02.pdf
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I think there were a few of those legal silver rods with the coil near the top, like the Hembro Wavemaster in your mag (saw it in one of mine the other day too along with another branded one).

Lemm did a 4-legged one that was similar to your DX but it was pole-mounted I think.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

The lemm that the OP posted pictures of, which I purchased, arrived today and all I can really say about it is that I don't think it's ever been used, it's all very shiny and new looking so mine is now complete apart from an original bracket.
PeterA
Call Sign: 26TM2714

Post by PeterA »

Tim wrote: 26 May 2020, 12:43 The lemm that the OP posted pictures of, which I purchased, arrived today and all I can really say about it is that I don't think it's ever been used, it's all very shiny and new looking so mine is now complete apart from an original bracket.

Great... 8)

Have you heard from NightProwler about the Bracket?

If you see another forsale, let me know... although I did PM Mr Mackane about the one he has. :shh:
WANTED
Galaxy Pluto, 2100, DX88HL, President Ronald (Or Equivalent)
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

Tim wrote: 24 May 2020, 11:43 The ground plane holes , if drilled and tapped out to receive a 3/8" thread would render the walls of the boss too thin and would not survive long, there's not enough 'meat' there, same with the whip fitting, in order to adapt to 3/8" you would have to lathe a stud with 1/4" thread one end and a 3/8" the other end, the thread on the ground plane legs is 10mm deep and the thread count is 8 threads, the 1/4" thread on the whip is the same.
I'm wondering if it really is an imperial thread on a European made antenna :?
If it's metric M6, this Volvo truck adapter might work?
https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mounting- ... -fh-4.html
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

The Collector wrote: 25 May 2020, 12:54 I think there were a few of those legal silver rods with the coil near the top, like the Hembro Wavemaster in your mag (saw it in one of mine the other day too along with another branded one).
Mine was branded "Hi-Gain" (not the pukka Hy-Gain :lol: )
After assembling it, I remember running my multimeter through it, just out of curiosity. It tested DC short on the SO239, which really confused me at the time. There was also no continuity between the main radiating part of the antenna, and the aluminium tip that came out of the top of the loading coil. I remember thinking I'd been sold a pup, and was amazed when it worked. It was like witchcraft! :D
Dave C
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 27PL259

Post by Dave C »

Tim wrote: 24 May 2020, 21:56 From the picture of the bracket it would be very simple to make one out of some 20mm x 3mm aluminium flat but I must admit that the original would be the ticket, at the right price of course! ;)
Or maybe use a track rod from a 1980's Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is like a box of chocolates.... Usually empty when I get there.... :crazy:

Rigs: Major M588 AM FM SSB (Std), President Grant II Premium (Std), Midland Alan 78 Plus (Std), Lowe TX 40 (Std).

Twigs: Antron 99 (Std), K40 Mag, Firestick 4', Cherokee Dial A Match 4', Sirio 1000 PL Mag.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Dave C wrote: 26 May 2020, 19:19
Tim wrote: 24 May 2020, 21:56 From the picture of the bracket it would be very simple to make one out of some 20mm x 3mm aluminium flat but I must admit that the original would be the ticket, at the right price of course! ;)
Or maybe use a track rod from a 1980's Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
a track rod from a 1960's Hillman imp would perform better than the lemm :)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Just the rubber from inside the track rod would ;)
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

All 3 would probably suffice but they would all need to be wet.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

The Collector wrote: 24 May 2020, 21:00 He knows you reeeaaallly want that bracket, so says he wants £150 for it ;)
£145 will do :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Knock off the one and the four and it would be about right! :lolno:
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

If I can find the little bugger you can have it but you have to write a poem about electric slugs from Venus for us all...Then I will post it to you.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

There once was an electric slug from Venus who had a rather large pen**, when he saw the size of his tool he began to drool and and short circuited the last of his genus.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Tim wrote: 27 May 2020, 08:21 There once was an electric slug from Venus who had a rather large pen**, when he saw the size of his tool he began to drool and and short circuited the last of his genus.
Hmmm not bad, I was hoping for a bit more action and drama but it will do. I suppose I better try and find that damn bracket then.