Monitoring on 934.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Monitoring on 934.

Post by The Collector »

Ooo...history...in that case, if I have too much Lambrini, I might put a bid in. Just googled it in images and up it popped ;)
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Never bid when clattered, last time I did i came home with a woman i couldnt get rid of.... :wtf:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I worked it the other way around. Too expensive for her to divorce me now ;)
g1xgm
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1XGM

Post by g1xgm »

Yes Grandstand did a 934Mhz transverter.As rare as rocking horse **** these days.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I wonder how quick it would be before you got a knock at the door if you were using these on a regular basis.

I have also wondered if the mobile operator who bought the spectrum also went on to buy as many of these units as they could on the open market.... would have been a prudent move at the time
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I didn't bother bidding on the Clarion in the end. I decided as it wasn't a British radio that I couldn't be arsed (I think some of the frequencies differ too???). I stayed sober and therefore less broke ;)
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 15:00 I wonder how quick it would be before you got a knock at the door if you were using these on a regular basis.

I have also wondered if the mobile operator who bought the spectrum also went on to buy as many of these units as they could on the open market.... would have been a prudent move at the time
Apparently mobile base stations run around 50w into large travelling wave co-linears that boost the erp massively so I cant see any real interference issues arising from a 4 watt rig at distance.
if youre close to each others area youd probably be over the cell towers tx just purely down to proximity and I reckon the signal travelling elsewhere would just get lost in the cell noise.
Up on ch20 depending where you are its quiet ( ie silent) or noisy.
I get 3 bars at home qth, but on 40 only 1 bar.
Out in the sticks a ways I get a near silent ch20 and a totally silent ch40 so its plenty useable there id say, all other channels appear blocked by 30+ cell traffic.
Using a beam for point to point is probably the best of all.
Ill be out on sunday listening again for any voice traffic from about 0945 to 11,00am.
Will likely do a few tests back to qth also, the last one was very clear rx better than the mobile phone.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Still experimenting with this.

Headed out again on sunday no cell activity on ch20 at all in the test location so clear channel, put out some calls but as expected nothing heard.
Since ive got a few of these radios and antennas around ill install one at brothers and use it for a local "net".
Will still head out mobile though and attempt other contacts if anyones up for it. Let me know.
Beam antenna is like a rifle, very directional!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've got one of those red 934mhz mobile antennas coming soon in the post, so if it's compatible with one of my mag-mounts, I'll attach it to one of my radios one of the days and see if I can hear anything at all. I'm not expecting to though, as where I live it's like living in a volcanic crater/valley with big hills all around.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

@QRZ-934 - next time you head out, make sure tou post on here and let everybody know, may increase your chances of making a contact 👍
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 18:48 @QRZ-934 - next time you head out, make sure tou post on here and let everybody know, may increase your chances of making a contact 👍
Will do! I have a trip in mind to get some altitude and ill take the 27mhz stuff, 446 and 69mhz gear with me at the same time, just have to confirm route, access etc and can get it sorted out.
Might make it a weekend yet out in the wilds... :D
Would be great to make a contact at distance with this band though, verboten stuff is sort of appealing. :)
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Obviously the anniversary of legal cb is coming up, just wondering if any 934'ers want to try for some qso's on the same day?
CA148

Post by CA148 »

Back in late 80's I used to use 934Mhz mobile a lot & I mean a lot, I used to work at Austin Rover in Birmingham and lived in Liverpool at the time, I used to travel down the M6 & have QSO's nearly all the way, around 80 miles, I used to park up on a hill called Sedgley Beacon (Wolverhampton) & using a 12 element yagi on a small pole strapped to my drivers wing mirror could talk back to Liverpool full strength.
I had 100's of contacts back then using my NPR 934Mhz handheld on the Lickey Hills (S Birmingham), great days, I also remember acting as a repeater station using two Commtel NPR mobile sets on channel 1 and channel 19 to enable stations on the far side of Anglesey to speak to stations well out of range across the Cheshire plains, what a fascinating band 934Mhz was, by far the best of all bands I have used to date.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

CA148 wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 13:31 Back in late 80's I used to use 934Mhz mobile a lot & I mean a lot, I used to work at Austin Rover in Birmingham and lived in Liverpool at the time, I used to travel down the M6 & have QSO's nearly all the way, around 80 miles, I used to park up on a hill called Sedgley Beacon (Wolverhampton) & using a 12 element yagi on a small pole strapped to my drivers wing mirror could talk back to Liverpool full strength.
I had 100's of contacts back then using my NPR 934Mhz handheld on the Lickey Hills (S Birmingham), great days, I also remember acting as a repeater station using two Commtel NPR mobile sets on channel 1 and channel 19 to enable stations on the far side of Anglesey to speak to stations well out of range across the Cheshire plains, what a fascinating band 934Mhz was, by far the best of all bands I have used to date.
Thanks for sharing that, its good to hear of peoples experiences back in the day.
Unfortunately I never had access to that band, it didnt really figure on my radar at the time for some reason, probably the costs and the fact that I was absorbed with SSB and long distance skip to the US.
I know the beacon, still can get up there in a car I believe so good high spot but celltowers also there so not so good as regards the racket they make.

Its only recently that I got intrigued by the band after being reminded of it and then researching the radios and antennas, I got it bad! :D Even started having dreams of making contacts on it which is odd. :)
Since then Ive been collecting the gear and heading out now and then to see whats on.
Depending where you go its either wall to wall tower hash or ch20 and 40 are dead clear and useable.
Made a couple of contacts back to home qth from mobile but not the same as qso with another station out there in the ether.
Hopefully therse still some interest amongst the previous userbase and we can at least make some noise for a couple of hours.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Bump! Have a couple of interested cbers up for making a qso or two on 1st november, all are welcome, times to be arranged.