Storing magmounts

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Storing magmounts

Post by original45 »

Been doing a little reading on storing magnets. Seems most store best when together in pairs in the way they attract each other.
Today I found out just how strong some are ,offered them up and struggled to part them.

It would seem these couple are magnetized n&s on opposite sides so easily aligned and pulled together.

A strange one that has me flummoxed as such in the best way to store them is the sirio mag base.
These seem to have a north south on one side, I'm unable to push them together flat to store unless I rotate one half way around so only half of each mag will pull together.

This seems strange to me to aid a stronger magnetic hold on a metal surface.
Anyone noted this before or know why it is such on the sirio bases.

I can only assume they would still store ok on the attracted sides .
Or should I leave them parted stored separate however from what I read storing together is best so don't democratize.

Any thoughts. Ta
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Storing magmounts

Post by The Collector »

Unless dropped, magnets really shouldn't lose their magnetism as the "domains" I think they're called (recalling from schooldays), line up and are magnetised, but get jumbled up when knocked and then become demagnetised. I've had dozens of mag-mounts over the years and never had a weak non-broken one, only a couple of broken ones (and they still worked a bit).

Store them how you like, but just not in the damp as the base and bolts will corrode and keep them away from filings or other very small bits of metal for obvious reasons..they're a bugger to get off completely.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Lol ,I have to say I have one from 80s still strong but I had one loose strength infill I left it attached to a second stronger.

It's just these few sirio bases their not magnetized the same ie opposite sides but opposite poles on one side so won't really store fully together only 40/50% of each other .

Think I will try to mark the poles and go from their.
Yep kept cool and dry for sure for sure.
How's you feeling now collector,all recovered ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

All good now ta, will be messing with the Imax the weekend ;)
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Ah cool I'm sure improvements to be had . How you finding the top section ?
They seem to be very whipping almost like they look like they are broken .