Restoring 1980's GP27 1/2 Wave

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Restoring 1980's GP27 1/2 Wave

Post by sec1223 »

grafter wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 16:32 Seeing what collector has posted about the GPA I thought I'd add this. Back then (at least round here) the halfwave vertical was either known as a Silver Rod or a GPA, the SR had the curved ground planes and the GPA had none. I've no idea now if the GPA came bagged up and labelled as such or whether it was a generic name even then but I do know lots of people used them, including me :)
im sure it was General Purpose 27 mhz
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

sec1223 wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 09:15 armco or amco springs to mind when its the 4 section aircraft grade ally gp.
did the OP find out the name of the 4 section gp?.. was it armco?
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

There are no ID marks on this Arial

Well its finally arrived...The Tubes are perfect but dirty. The hardware is very rusty as can be expected and the Nylon insulators are showing signs of age and UV damage.

The plan is to clean up the Tubes Check the matching circuit board if it has one (This would confirm its an original) and cut off the old rusty stuff and replace ,then Jubilee clip the sections and UV Treat the Nylon with Plasticote.

Keep watching
26TM114
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Post by Astro fantom »

Wow superb find that one buddy i remember owning one of these in the 80’s and it was indestructable unlike some of the garbage produced nowdays infact it stayed straight and un damaged despite high winds and only came down in a storm when the wall brackets came away from the wall and the entire set up went though the neighbours fence and there where parts of it four doors down the road.....thats what happens when you have 2x 20ft alloy scaffold poles butted together with a sleeve inserted but then only use screws and rawlplugs to attatch the whole thing to the back of the garage.🤣 i started using rawlbolts from then on👍