CB Nostalgia. What set ups did you have?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
GrumpyFinn
New User
New User
Call Sign: KN4ABD

Re: CB Nostalgia. What set ups did you have?

Post by GrumpyFinn »

Kraco am/fm something or another, then upgraded to Mocoma 45 with dual firestick whips on a 79 Honda accord, - 82 I bought a Palomar 2400 with an astatic d104 mic (still have it)... The first two I'd really like to forget I ever had. I also had a realistic TRC-451(?) at some point
cooper
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM111

Post by cooper »

A commtron Nato for me,it did both Uk and Us bands with both fm & am,antenna was a valor full wave firestick type antenna sat on a ground plane kit in the loft, it work ok after a fashion back in 1981 :thumbup:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

cooper wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 10:45 A commtron Nato for me,it did both Uk and Us bands with both fm & am,antenna was a valor full wave firestick type antenna sat on a ground plane kit in the loft, it work ok after a fashion back in 1981 :thumbup:
I've got a Commtron Nato/CXX in the car, although I'm yet to speak to anyone on it. I also had a Valor Triple-coiled clear-coated thing years ago, might've been called a Roadhog or similar.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

The Collector wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 13:06
cooper wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 10:45 A commtron Nato for me,it did both Uk and Us bands with both fm & am,antenna was a valor full wave firestick type antenna sat on a ground plane kit in the loft, it work ok after a fashion back in 1981 :thumbup:
I've got a Commtron Nato/CXX in the car, although I'm yet to speak to anyone on it. I also had a Valor Triple-coiled clear-coated thing years ago, might've been called a Roadhog or similar.
I used to think the Nato was the bees knees back then and it cost a small fortune at that time,i think the antenna was warrior?? :D
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Road Warrior perhaps? I think there were a few different versions of it and I believe Thunderpole did one too years ago.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

The Collector wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 17:05 Road Warrior perhaps? I think there were a few different versions of it and I believe Thunderpole did one too years ago.
Yep i believe you are right, road warrior seems to ring a bell and i`m pretty sure a neighbour had the road hog you mentioned :thumbup:
bigbluebaggy
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: AF68

Post by bigbluebaggy »

I am not too far from the Beacon outside Walsall. I could try this out maybe when I find some spare time. Probably get someone thinking I'm weird or something. There are a few people still on round North Birmingham area. It's just not how it used to be, but then again when is anything I guess. I was kind of shocked to see that 14 has been abandoned and 19 seems to be the mainly used channel now. I'll sort myself another multi-band rig in the next few months. It's nice to remissness.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

14 was soooo overcrowded so people starting using the truckers channel to call out on as well.

A cousin of mine used Barr beacon near Perry Barr and Kingstanding to shout out from. I used either Frankly Beeches or the Lickey Hills myself. Sometimes there were up to 20 of us.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Realistic 40AM with a DV27 on a sweet tin back in the day, then on the day UKFM became legal an LCL 40FM on a DX27 mounted outside. The rest is history as they say.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Marlin45
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 163CT266

Post by Marlin45 »

I had been interested in radio for years and been involved in short wave listening with an old valve based Lafayette HE30 that my uncle had given me but I then got involved with the local cub pack as a helper (age 14) and the 'Akela' (boss bloke) has a Cobra 148GLT-DX in his car. I was in awe and every chance I had I was dabbling with that even though the only antenna was a dial-a-match on the wing. Roll on 1981 and FM became legal and 2 years of saving my paper round money (with a bit of assistance from M&D) and I bought an Amstrad 900 and a Targa mobile antenna to stick on a biscuit tin in the attic.

Roll on the next 7 years and the setup moved through various incarnations such as a Nato 40FM/Hygain V/Lincoln MK1 (epic set)/Icom 735. Antennas though were still limited to anything that could fit in the loft or a long wire or wire dipole outside. Still managed to work most corners of the world with only the rig power. Bought my own house in a packed modern housing estate and immediately put up a homemade 2-element cubical quad for 11m at 18ft on the Saturday. On the monday I had the planning officer at the door! I decided then to take a break from radio which ended up being a 10 year holiday.

Here's a pic from around 1988!
IMG_20151025_0007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'I'm a rider at the gates of dawn, and I take no prisoners' - Rik (The Young Ones - 1982)
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Great glasses!

I had a couple of twigs on my council semi back in the late 80's. When I put the second one up (21ft silver rod) next to the shaky big stick got a visit from the housing officer telling me to take both down as no permission to put up. Told him no probs providing half the housing estate took theirs down as well, bit of letter exchanging followed for months after and then nothing more happened. Silver rod broke not long after anyway. Wouldn't be able to get a way with it today though.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

Post by theEarwigger »

I would have killed for a Fidelity 1000, having this in 1981:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POwT2ThfLhA
Jake the arsonist
Regular
Regular

Post by Jake the arsonist »

Hi, first radio was Harvard 410T handheld someone had dropped - the case had exploded - with Dad and some araldite and a couple of days I had a working rig.
Then a Harrier something from Dixon's.
The last one is the Commtron CXX/NATO, which I got out of the cupboard just last week. That with an Oscar ( now defunct ) on my Mini, and a 3 legged ground plane floor standing aerial ( can't remember make or model ) we had lots of fun.
Will be up on Ranmore Common on Thursday for the local net on 27.395 FM.
Just found out about that via a mate, will see how it goes.

Regards to all, Dave.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

My First radio was a Midland 4001 A.M. and a K27 mobile antenna same as the DV27 it was mounted on a large biscuit tin placed ontop of about 50 wire coathangers spread over the loft floor. I cant remember if it was 1978 or 79 I think it was 78.

Had great fun and made lots of friends. :D :D

The below image isn't my original radio I just found this image on the Tinterweb and nicked it ;-)

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Post by Avenger »

First rig I had on the air was a spinnytronic clone of the amstrad 901 with a modulator mag mount stuck onto a triangular road sign in my attic with 3 aluminium poles from an old rotary clothes line attached 1 from each corner ( I kid you not). this was early 90's and worked really well with good swr.
163TM122 - ROB