inside or out

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: inside or out

Post by The Collector »

Para999-

Well I thought I heard "something" right in the back of the box that just made the static sound different, then a few minutes later on I'm sure I could hear talking, but no idea on words, if it was male, or even if it was yourself! I tried USB on the same frequency and fiddled with the tuner but heard nothing back on that mode at all. I even tried LSB too for the sake of it, hoping to get your needle to twitch any way I could.

Incidently, it's the first time I've ever spoken on SSB since having CB's in '81, even if it was one-way, so there's a first for me!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The next time I go up to Birmingham to visit my dad and sister, I'll stick an aerial on the car and give you a shout out from the M5 as I'm passing north-bound (you should hear me then!) if you're around at the time that is. I'll let you know.

I'm determined to get you having a conversation with someone, even if it's only with me for 10 minutes before I get out of range ;)
para999

Post by para999 »

lol well I'm stumped now I can't hear anything on any channel apart from static it makes me wonder at what height do I have the aerial to get anything as I say its roughly 26ft at the mo.incidently I turned my roger bleep on to try to help. but nope.anyhow thanks for your help
para999

Post by para999 »

p.s I'm near junction 17 on the m4 and I havnt picked anybody up on there yet nevermind the m5.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

No problem at all. I've got the set up but never use it, so it was worth a try. My Imax's swr is 1.6 but I used the matcher to bring it down to 1:1. I may be able to get a tiny bit more power out if I can bring the swr down a bit more without using the matcher to trick the radio that it's perfectly in-tune. More power is needed by the looks of things, or a dozen excavators to plough a few channels through the surrounding hills here, as I'm in somewhat of a valley.

It's work in progress.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

para999 wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 21:21 p.s I'm near junction 17 on the m4 and I havnt picked anybody up on there yet nevermind the m5.

I'd have to try from the M5/M4 junction just up from Cribbs Causeway then. I'd be about 10 miles closer and not surrounded by hills, so you may yet hear me (going on our luck so far though, you'll hear bugger all again lol).
para999

Post by para999 »

mmmh true bit lost what to do now.ebay is tempting
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

The Collector wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 21:26 My Imax's swr is 1.6 but I used the matcher to bring it down to 1:1. I may be able to get a tiny bit more power out if I can bring the swr down a bit more without using the matcher to trick the radio that it's perfectly in-tune. More power is needed by the looks of things,

It's work in progress.
Can you reach the wires with 2 brush handles joined up/ length of long thin wood ?

Use gaffer tape and put a big 4" nail on the end at 90° for a claw.

If you can alter the angle of the groundplane wires more like 45° or the best you can manage.as it will be effecting the radiation pattern of the Imax ;)

Solarcon don't sell a horizontal groundplane kit for an Imax = its 45°.= some say it's a waste of time.

If that fails just cut them off with your extendable pruners.

Where is the swr the best collector = UK CH 1 or UK CH 40 ?
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's almost the same swr on 1/20/40 actually, only a couple of millimetres in it. I can get to the bolt (just) with the spanner again and take the wires off and try the swr again. The wires are partially horizontal but tail off towards 45 degree anyway as I just trailed the wires through what branches were sticking out thereabouts.
I'll also see if anyone's on at the time in the distance and see if it affects their incoming signal.
It'll probably have to be in the week now.

If I can get a small amp cheap, it may just be all that's needed to get there. 50 watts instead of just 4 should hopefully triple my reach.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

50w on SSB would give you a far better chance of being heard nearly 40 mile away from your location.

if 999 is rx-ing S3 to S4 of "static" on FM,maybe 26.965 - 27.995 SSB might be the better option,depending on what's switched on around the 2 of you.

Maybe post here 5 mins before where 27 MHz sounds clearer at either end ?

999 now has a good swr so you could always arrange your next test where your swr is best for you collector.

Recommended swr for an amp 1.5 or less,hopefully the swr on your Imax will be more like 1.2 > 1 at the most for the 80 CH once it gets tuned better.

Shouldn't need a matcher for your Imax = forget the 12 bulldozers and get a large cherry picker = and put the original top section back on = just to see ;)

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

There's no way I'm taking that thing down again. I'd need to borrow that French bloke's jet- hoverboard thing to get to the top section :) It's up there until I snuff it now, which may be sooner rather than later as my wife may now notice the tank-whip sticking out the top of the conifers lol.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Hovverboard eh.......nah.......too busy working on getting a wire dipole between 2 drones up in the air.It might work ok horizontal.

27.555 Usb
para999

Post by para999 »

well I've had another think about things. as a result of trying all channels this morning and only getting a lot of static and stations at only 2-3 ( at least I think it's stations ) and unreadable,I've decided that as I cannot have an antenna higher than I have at the moment it leaves me no option but to get rid of all of it.
it's not been an easy decision as I had hoped,as somebody pointed out, to "roll back the years" but sadly it's not possible for me on a home base and to be honest I am no longer of the age to be sitting in the car for hours on end.
of course I could move but again it's not practical so unfortunately I will just have to live on memories of "what it used to be like back in the old AM days ". so unfortunately it will be appearing on a certain auction site sometime in the very near future.
i would like to thank all those that have tried to help and input suggestions into this thread especially :- 'the collector' for his time and effort.
I would certainly not hesitate to suggest this site to anybody that is thinking of taking up the hobby for it's friendly and helpful approach, especially to newbies like me.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Or you could do an advert for a straight swap with your ss whip for an original 3/8th thread 7ft Pal Firestik on here/the tree of gum localish ?

A SSB radio like a 5555/6666 would maybe make a big diference aswell.

The height of your base is high enough for a good SUPPORT POINT to hang a wire dipole from.

Homebrew thin copper wire dipole = wire at roughly 8 1/2 ft / 2.59m long on each side,fed from the coax you have at present,in an inverted V (looks like ^) set at a 90 - 120° angle.

Or you can tie one end of the dipole off from the bottom of your antenna mount,with clear strong fishing line and run it in a sloped straight line,tying it off at the other end.

It might not be too good for getting the collector,as its not a vertical homebase antenna = but it will work the world when the skip runs,especially if you have a radio with 27.555 USB = sounds far better than going off imo.

27.555 Usb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

para999 wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 09:52 well I've had another think about things. as a result of trying all channels this morning and only getting a lot of static and stations at only 2-3 ( at least I think it's stations ) and unreadable,I've decided that as I cannot have an antenna higher than I have at the moment it leaves me no option but to get rid of all of it.
it's not been an easy decision as I had hoped,as somebody pointed out, to "roll back the years" but sadly it's not possible for me on a home base and to be honest I am no longer of the age to be sitting in the car for hours on end.
of course I could move but again it's not practical so unfortunately I will just have to live on memories of "what it used to be like back in the old AM days ". so unfortunately it will be appearing on a certain auction site sometime in the very near future.
i would like to thank all those that have tried to help and input suggestions into this thread especially :- 'the collector' for his time and effort.
I would certainly not hesitate to suggest this site to anybody that is thinking of taking up the hobby for it's friendly and helpful approach, especially to newbies like me.
That is a real shame. Personally I would give yourself a break and come back at it again soon.
Yes you are limited in antenna choice and in fair the weather conditions havnt Been great either.
Sit on your gear a while what can you loose
The thing with radio is many go off and come back to it latter.

Have to admit I felt same often especially when things don't go as you wish but I have always kept a radio for a com device since 70s and have had a break.

I too am hoping to be travelling your direction on the m 5to south Wales hopefully soon late evening and when / if I do am happy to pull off and try a contact.
I too am at a age my health is worsening physically despite just being low 50s,work hard play hard and reap the benefits I think .
What radio do you use. Those south west networks I can often hear and contact from Birmingham on ssb although the am nets I can't.
Are you able to erect a light vertical base antenna temporarily when you wish you use radio that isn't permanent .

Just to add, have you access to a car, have you a mobile antenna .would it be possible to go to a local high location a few times to see if their are any locals or stations heard.not a permanent solution to using it but as a measure.