inside or out

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: inside or out

Post by original45 »

The amp looks great, very sensible having fins up facing . Nice fan on top maybe.
I know my amp and Jackson 2 even on low power get hot on long overs even a tiny fan cools fantastically
Car issues here mate now too.
Grrrrr
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Well since I floored it in 5th at 25mph, it's behaved itself. The management light is still on so it's just when under a lot of load.
I've been fitting universal sideskirts, mudflaps (they'll be dragging on the floor so it's lowered so much and when the 18's and lower profile tyres go back on it...)and arch extensions to mine today while my wife and daughter were out for a few hours. Bliss!

What's going on with yours then mate?

I probably won't bother with a fan on the amp as it won't be used to be honest, just wanted to try and boost power to try and get to Danny.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Duel mass fly wheel , gone very noisy.
Whilst it will still work until it disintegrates we don't feel the car is worth the expense.
Been looking for replacement cars, but like buying used radios it's a gamble often.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Mine's got one of those. Fingers crossed it stays as it is.
Mines got slightly crunchy gears (worse in winter), clutch is wearing low, has nearly done 200,000 miles, has been reversed into numerous times where it's parked and probably more wrong besides.

I resprayed the door that was sanded down when you saw it, and the cans supplied are about 5 shades darker than they should be. I've complained to the seller on ebay, but I'll need to rub it all down and pretty much start again.

Cars are like women, you sometimes can't live with them, but you can't live without them either.

I fancy a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V personally in the future, but I couldn't afford one and couldn't fit 5 tons of crap in the back like I can with the Grand Espace.
para999

Post by para999 »

get an old ambo, only one owner but hundreds of careful drivers :D
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Few decades back I'd have had to engine out to change the unit ,done loads .
A mate of mine advised look at a ambo as a day van come camper. They are often v heavy though.
Some of my best cars have been the cheapest few hundred pounds to buy yet never needed work or let me down for 5/6 years old Cavaliers .
I loved the clenched fists in the day. They are superb beasts.
Used to have performance cars in past probably the most nicest was lotus esprit s4s N339 HCL mustard ,nice to look at ,broke often then I went to 2wheels again for my thrill fix until had big off where the ambulance crews saved my life if not my skin. Ton + up ,hot day t shirt !!'
Yup that was real fun that ,came back to bite me few years back health wise.
Bless the ambo crews ,love them
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Had to go to a pretty local job this morning and in the lady's garage was this. Mmmmmm... £50k's worth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Ooh I like that , she married ? Lol
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I got the brand new Midland 78 multi installed in the car today, so it's ready to try again when I go up to Brum in a few weeks. I've fitted the little extension speaker off the old radio onto it.

I just need to get an el-cheapo swr meter to check the swr on the mobile aerial, either that or unplug the big Zetagi homebase one I have and use that. I sold one I had a while back, not thinking that I might need it for mobile use one day as I've not long changed aerials.

The old Commtron Nato/CXX radio is now on ebay, in need of its AM mode sorting.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Let me know when on route ,we can try a 2way if I'm able.
This is the thing with old radios that can develop a fault, my heart tells me it needs a professional repair but my mind says the cost out ways it's worth often.
I must say it goes against the grain to do it though
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've got another identical Commtron in better condition, so it's not worth sending this one to Nick (Black Spirit) just to get the AM working. Nick did say he knew someone who was after one a while back, but I'm sure it's probably not tidy enough for them.

The car mod's have come to a standstill after it turns out the paint I bought is a different shade on the car if I haven't already mentioned it somewhere. Only the door got lacquered but the sideskirts, grilles, badge backing, arches etc will have to wait until after payday now when I can buy some the correct colour. Idiots. Have complained but ebay seller doesn't want to know so I've panned them on their reviews. Ha.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Yup not good.surely ebay can step in ?. You have 90 days is it ?.
On a mission tomorrow,going down south to pick up a mota for better half.
Just sorted a couple of baofengs out ,got the batts charging up and the counterpoise wires fitted.
Safer bet than a mobile phone to keep 2cars in contact on return journey.

Yup ebay is the radio graveyard of many.hopefully someone will bring it back to life and not bits it .
Would be nice to have sat on the shoulders of these radio docs to have learnt how to but maybe still I'd not have the patience or memory to retain it especially now.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

There's a 30 days complaints cut-off time on ebay according to an online chat with them earlier, but they told me to try through Paypal as theirs is 180 days! I've stuck a grievance in, so we'll see. If not, at least I tried.

Anyway, I need to claw back the £46 dosh in total that I spent on the brand new Midland 78, so hopefully the old Commtron Nato sells okay on ebay. It's got 2 bidders now and no single zero-feedback bidders have been banned as yet. I've stuck my Superstar echo mic' on there too, to help the funds situation. Bring on payday!

Danny had issues with not being able to post and could only PM, but I think he's sorted now. Just got to wait for his handyman to find time to hoik up his tank-whip before we have another try.
para999

Post by para999 »

yes I'm still leaving it to let him get over his problem.so I will give him another week and see what he says.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Well if you don't get it sorted by Christmas, I've got that week off work and I'll bring my ladders and put the bugger up myself ;)

Well my plan to save up and get some cash back in the bank because of buying the Midland went to pot. I decided to bid and win a 934mhz Commtel radio to complete my little 934 collection (got the 4 mobile uk radios now), so that messed it up oops. Will have to find some more stuff to sell on now!