inside or out

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
para999

inside or out

Post by para999 »

hi all newbie here.
I am restricted as to where I can position a home base aerial, I cannot have a dipole it has to be a relatively small aerial.i have tried an Excalibur and found this not much good have not gone over to a boomerang. this is for cb and sideband.
my question is roughly what difference would a receiving signal ( only) be for the boomerang mounted in the loft to that of one mounted outside on the tv mast half way up my semi? I know it might be difficult but a percentage difference would be good in able to appreciate your reply.
thank you
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: inside or out

Post by Admiral »

Negligible for RX.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
para999

Post by para999 »

many thanks
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Regardless of which one you use, try and get it to clear the roof if you can at all. The signal will hopefully clear all of your neighbours roofs then too.

Both aerials mentioned are known for their lack of range due to their limited size (the bigger the better up to 22ft most of the time).

Otherwise, as per other topics with the same theme, think about an inverted-dipole in the loft or a 9ft "tank-whip" with a simple ground-plane wire hanging down from the base. They're only about 4mm wide so don't stand out so easily. It's very stealthy and may easily double your range if it's just poking above the roof.
para999

Post by para999 »

hi thanks for your reply.the only way i would get above the neighbours roof is to mount it on the tv aerial pole and even then it would only be the very tip that would be..it would be level to neighbours roof if mounted in the loft obviously as mine is attached to theirs.the thing is an aerial contractor would charge about £60 ish to mount it on the pole and i wanted to make sure it was worth it against a loft mount which i can do myself.i live in a rented property so i'm restricted as to what i can do.
para999

Post by para999 »

just an update
following advice from a member ( the collector) I've decided to try the tank whip, as its under £20 I thought it was worth a shot.i've found an unused satellite dish mount on the side of the house at the back.with a mod it should fit in there and the tip will be above the roof ridge.
so thanks again
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Nice one, certainly worth a shot. Just remember to add an approx 108" wire that can literally hang down from the bracket to act as the ground-plane. You could use some thin enamelled copper wire so it would hardly be seen too (or the solid inner core of a piece of spare co-ax cable) ;)

I've just bought a tank-whip myself to go on top of an Imax 2000 homebase aerial, but a 1-piece which is a bit more expensive.
para999

Post by para999 »

thanks again but do you think I will still need more ground plane when the satellite dish mount is metal and plugged and screwed into the wall of the house ?
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Hi Para,

Just expanding on @the Collector great suggestion and answering to some degree your question regarding needing more ground plane.

Why not purchase something like https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/antenna-a ... le-centre- Plennty of options to chose from https://www.google.com/search?q=3/8+dip ... 8&bih=1050

Mount that on the Sat Dish Mount with one Tank Whip & test with some wire as suggested for Ground plane and if not good enough with wire or the Sat Dish Mount alone buy a second 2 piece TWhip and stick it on the bottom.

Done this myself using that and some of the variations of twin 3/8 dipole centres to a satisfying outcome.

If it's a keeper and you are keeping it up there i would make sure on the 2 piece whip that the centre connection between the thick and thin diameter whips are securely seated (screw them in and out a few times before hand and clean the threads before a final seat). Stick some self amalgamating taper round that join and cover with some normal electrical tape or shrink wrap/tube.

Good discussion here>viewtopic.php?t=25219

Good luck
Can't help but love an Adams.

para999

Post by para999 »

hi Stronty.
what I was thinking is that as I have a boomerang ( which maybe redundant if this works ),i could use the base bracket which comes with it and has a piece on the bottom which acts as a ground plane for the aerial and is at roughly 45 degree from the bracket below. thought that might work as this will not only act as a way of fixing it to the satellite mount but also allow the base of the whip ( which I believe is 3\8th to screw into it).
thankyou for your reply especially the bit about sealing the joint and the link
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

There's probably plenty of stuff on Youtube. Here's a taster:

https://youtu.be/bolyErI2888

Some stuff is great, some okay, some zzzzzzz ;)
para999

Post by para999 »

can iask another.seeing the whip comes with just a thread on the end,usually to screw into a mag mount how do you attach it to the tv mast? i know usually you use a clamp with some items obviously the diameter of the whip is too narrow to use a clamp.i've just measured the item from the boomerang and it won't fit.so what i also need is whatever method is used to attach the whip needs to finish up with a female socket for the cable to receiver the pl socket.i do have a length of coax with male plugs on either end. thanks for your patience.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

You need something like this. Any ground-plane wires can also attach to a bolt. It isolates the tank-whip from the bracket then and you just plug in your pl259/co-ax:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1987377147

There are slightly different versions available with 90degree vertical clamping rather than horizontal, so just see which will attach to your dish bracket the best. Just watch if clamping to square-section metal that the clamp may end up at an angle depending on the grip configuration.

Also, ensure you scrape off the paint on the dish bracket to ensure the clamp has a good connection to help with ground-planing. Usually, the more metal the better ;)
para999

Post by para999 »

many thanks again :D
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

If you get really stuck there a modulator dipole you can have for free here the swr 1.1.1 over 2 mhz free post as well ta Mike.