inside or out

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
para999

Re: inside or out

Post by para999 »

nope sorry it's 12ft inside wall to wall.i've just measured it.
Last edited by para999 on 11 Oct 2019, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
para999

Post by para999 »

if you look at the picture I posted of my outside aerial that is my end wall on one side and it's a semi.
front to back it's easy that but of course the roof doesn't run that way.the only way I could do it would be to lay it on the loft floor but of course that would not be so good either
Last edited by para999 on 11 Oct 2019, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

108EH002 wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 01:53
para999 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 13:34 at the moment it is still on the bee mount attached to the bracket but minus any pole, I have 2 pieces of wire hanging down from where the mount is attached to the bracket
Maybe better if the wire was in a horizontal position instead of hanging down.

As for no space for a dipole in your loft = If you have your coax rising in the middle to the highest point of your loft,each leg of the dipole is roughly 8 1/4 - 8 1/2 ft long (depending if its horizontal/inverted),and they would sit at the angle of the pitch on the inside = one on each side sloping at an angle = looks like ^ (an upside down V) with your co-ax inner live wire connected to one leg,and outer braid earth wire connected to the other leg.

Or you can always run the wire dipole in a horizontal position the length of your loft under the apex,again with the co-ax feed being vertical = looks like a capital letter T.

You are not in any rush 999 and that's fair enough I get that,but surely you wouldn't have waited nearly 3 month getting a decent picture/sound on a tv you had purchased new,that was the same cost as you have spent on your new CB set-up so far ;)
The above post = EACH LEG OF THE DIPOLE IS ROUGHLY 8 1/4 - 8 1/2 FT LONG.

You might be a dabhand with a solder iron = but reading a post correctly on TM1.......
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

The ridge is longer than 12ft on your house 999.

27.555 Usb
para999

Post by para999 »

oh dear but if you read it again you said or you can always run it in a horizontal position the length of your loft like a capital letter T and as I couldn't accommodate the V I went for the second option the T.so I didn't misread it now did I ?
para999

Post by para999 »

it may be longer but it certainly isn't 17ft or anywhere near hang on i'll go measure it for you
12ft 4 inches wall to wall in the loft
don't forget it is a semi and the other side wall has an entrance to a car park and there is a flat over that entrance
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

(depending if its horizontal/inverted) = where does it say do away with one of the legs so it is 8 1/2 ft in total ?

27.555 Usb
para999

Post by para999 »

I havn't done away with one of the legs in my original first post tonight I said I had 2 lengths of copper pipe 2metre long= 2 legs and I have the cable up to it vertical with outer braid going to one pipe and the inner to the other pipe. like the letter T like you said.

"Or you can always run the wire dipole in a horizontal position the length of your loft under the apex,again with the co-ax feed being vertical = looks like a capital letter T." the only difference I see is that I went for copper pipe instead of wire.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Only thing you will see is a dipole with legs at 5 1/2 ft either side,as you bought 2m lengths (6ft 6 inches) and cut 1 foot off each = have never made a dipole at 4 1/4 feet on either side, as it would be an 1/8th wave = too small.

Read through the posts again 999,and you will see that I never mentioned that you could shorten the legs to fit into a smaller space = the dipole needs to be roughly 8 1/4 - 8 1/2 FT on each side/leg for it to have a good swr.

You can still add your 1.5 mm wire onto each end of the copper pipe to achieve the correct length = even if it hangs down at an angle = it will work better than being to short = try and get the opposite ends as far apart if possible.

Radio is all about compromises = just wrap the wire around the ends of the pipe and keep inplace with electrical tape if you dont have more jubilee clips.

Don't give up now = I only know a little bit more than you 999 = I am just a CB'er aswell that has asked many a time = I've made plenty mistakes aswell so your in good company = thats how most started out on CB aswell = asking / homebrewing / learning as they went ;) :thumbup:
Last edited by 108EH002 on 12 Oct 2019, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

A few pic's that might help here or for others in the future. The bottom ends of the wires can be pulled taut and simply wrapped around a screw or nail in the angled rafters:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

para999 wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 18:27 that would be an overall length of 17 ft if that is correct it wouldn't fit length ways in my loft space, hence why I bought the 2m and lopped a foot of each and then it only just fit
It's not long enough though, a dipole should be half a wavelength and for 11 metres that's 5 and a half (centre fed). You can add some copper wire to the ends of the pipe, and it doesn't have to go in the same direction (tho' it helps), it could be at right angles, then the SWR would be nearer 1:1. I've used homemade dipoles in the past and they work really well for a bit of wire and string.
The perfect face for radio.
para999

Post by para999 »

108EH002 wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 22:51 Only thing you will see is a dipole with legs at 5 1/2 ft either side,as you bought 2m lengths (6ft 6 inches) and cut 1 foot off each = have never made a dipole at 4 1/4 feet on either side, as it would be an 1/8th wave = too small.

Read through the posts again 999,and you will see that I never mentioned that you could shorten the legs to fit into a smaller space = the dipole needs to be roughly 8 1/4 - 8 1/2 FT on each side/leg for it to have a good swr.

You can still add your 1.5 mm wire onto each end of the copper pipe to achieve the correct length = even if it hangs down at an angle = it will work better than being to short = try and get the opposite ends as far apart if possible.

Radio is all about compromises = just wrap the wire around the ends of the pipe and keep inplace with electrical tape if you dont have more jubilee clips.

Don't give up now = I only know a little bit more than you 999 = I am just a CB'er aswell that has asked many a time = I've made plenty mistakes aswell so your in good company = thats how most started out on CB aswell = asking / homebrewing / learning as they went ;) :thumbup:
I see you've changed your post from last night and explained better.let me explain something to you about myself yes I was a cber years ago and I decided to give it another go. you say you never said about shortening but you never said it shouldn't be either.in order to get it to fit into the space I had no option but to shorten it. now if you read back through my posts I have explained why I did it.the only way I can extend it would be with wire but it would be hanging down vertically as I don't have the room.anyhow I just can't be doing with it anymore my health and age is taking a hit.
Last edited by para999 on 12 Oct 2019, 10:21, edited 2 times in total.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

All you need to do is add 3 ft on each side and if it hangs down vertical thats ok = trim an inch on each side until the swr is lowest on 27.500 FM = checking the swr on 26.965 and 27.991.25 = swr should be about 1.3 > 1.0 at the highest.

You have done most of the important work already.

You can even fold/bend the wire back and just tape it up on itself until you get the best swr.

It will be worth the effort when your radio works better.

27.555 Usb
para999

Post by para999 »

108EH002 wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 10:19 All you need to do is add 3 ft on each side and if it hangs down vertical thats ok = trim an inch on each side until the swr is lowest on 27.500 FM = checking the swr on 26.965 and 27.991.25 = swr should be about 1.3 > 1.0 at the highest.

You have done most of the important work already.
the thing is I don't see what the point is if I can't hear anybody clear enough having a good SWR isn't going to help in that respect is it. I was hoping by using the pipes in the loft for a dipole or dupole or whatever was going to help but it isn't or hasn't even.i have just gone through all the channels FM and SSB and cannot hear anybody clear enough to make out, I might be getting on a bit now but there's nothing wrong with my hearing.it seems having an outside dipole is the only way but A.... it would have to be well over the height of my house and B....it would stick out like a sore thumb ( and of course as said before I can't do that).
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Having an antenna with a good swr will allow you a better chance of being heard by others when you actually shout out.

Other's dont have much of a chance hearing you if you don't want to key the mic because your swr is high like at present = so there is a point in my opinion.

If you make your external dipole out of black co-ax/dark coloured coated wire it won't stick out like a sore thumb.

(13) Germany / (14) France / (35) Austria / (161) Poland are on 27.555 USB as I type this,and I spoke to south west France on UK CH 19 an hour ago,so the skip is there.

27.555 Usb