I max 2000

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: I max 2000

Post by ch25 »

Yes, through holes. https://www.ai4fr.com/main/page_ham_rad ... pl259.html
When you wrap braid outside ant trying to screw connector you cut most of the braid wires with internal threads, leaving very poor contact.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Thank Chris, that's a good link. It's a shame however that he didn't show a picture of how the end of the co-ax is best exposed wire-wise, prior to it being inserted into the connector.

Does he trim the black outer back, separate and then flatten the braid and spiral it around the white inner in the same direction that the connector is going to be screwed on( keeping it well away from the inner wire obviously)?

I note he mentions why my dad struggled to get the solder to run/adhere to the plug due to the coating and heat being sucked up by the whole thing I assume.

I'll have a go at that method myself as I've just ordered 2 new pl259 plugs for the co-ax.

I've already cut the 213 co-ax to approx. length and have got two 'baluns' consisting of 5 turns in 4" diameter coils, one right near the end where it'll attach to the aerial and the other where it'll be connected to the joint where it passes into my loft where my radios are.

I also left exactly a half-wave (18ft/216") inbetween the two baluns too. I'm not sure it'll make bugger-all difference, but thought it was worth a shot! :)

Now that I've got my single-piece 9ft tank-whip as a replacement for the top section, the original fibreglass one can go on ebay. I've put some thread-lock on the allen screws and the top of the base piece of the tank-whip just in case. Don't want it coming loose and falling out!
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

There is shown step by step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKRcxKQlyM
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

ch25 wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 19:09 There is shown step by step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKRcxKQlyM
Ahhh...I like the idea of soldering the braid before trimming it to length.
I know bugger all about electronics etc, but it would help him if he had a dedicated adjustable coax cutter/trimmer to go through the outer black covering though, instead of him fighting for about a minute just to peel 2 inches off the end with a stanley knife...as well as a tin of flux. He had to edit the video as I bet it took him 10 minutes just to solder that braid over a blob at a time.

I've probably only ever had to solder on about a dozen PL plugs, but now I know how it should be done properly (after 38 years lol), I'll do it that way from now on. It'll probably be the last time I ever need to on a homebase aerial anyway ;)