Homebase CB antennna on magmount base static mobile

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Homebase CB antennna on magmount base static mobile

Post by 108EH002 »

Just wondering if anyone has used a homebase vertical CB antenna,on top of there vehicle for a better ground without a pole whilst being parked stationary ?

I managed this with the help of a double male PL259 connector into a SO239 magmount,and its just like tightening a pl plug outer sleeve onto the bottom of your straight through vertical antenna.

I have only used a silver rod and an A99,but I was getting good results,and it saved me having to use a pole.This way you can just park up,and its a simple install.

Thinking of getting another antenna to replace the Imax,so will maybe try that with a double 259 connector straight into the mount on the roof.

Was extending a homebrew dipole further away from the car,by connecting the pl259 from dipole coax,straight into the so239 connection on the magmount/sirio 239 dv mount thats drilled through.Didnt' notice any loss,only gain as I could get antenna higher aswell.

Might give someone a different idea from what they are maybe doing at present,when they are parked up :thumbup:

** Disclaimer = better if its not too windy,and the magmount is a triple mag one,if not string/fishing line and a tent peg tied to the south/west ;) **
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Homebase CB antennna on magmount base static mobile

Post by The Collector »

I once put a Ham International "Big Mac" antenna on the roof of my car.

Oh, hang on, no sorry I didn't, it was a McDonalds Big Mac ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

I used to use a silver rod on my gutter mount parked under a tree with the top section pushed through a bent branch in calm conditions and it worked well,I also used a silver rod g clamped to a farmers 3m double gate at around 1m height I worked Australia when the propagation was good.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

I don't think I would 'relish' one of those on the motor collector,heard they're a bit of a 'burger' to swr in,but also heard they can 'beef' up your signal,but only when the skip is 'rolling' in ;)

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

108EH002 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 18:23 I don't think I would 'relish' one of those on the motor collector,heard they're a bit of a 'burger' to swr in,but also heard they can 'beef' up your signal,but only when the skip is 'rolling' in ;)
Very good lol :)
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

The Collector wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 19:44 I once put a Ham International "Big Mac" antenna on the roof of my car.

Oh, hang on, no sorry I didn't, it was a McDonalds Big Mac ;)
That's a Oldrich Burger designed disguised magnetic loop I think.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

ROTEL240 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 08:16 I used to use a silver rod on my gutter mount parked under a tree with the top section pushed through a bent branch in calm conditions and it worked well,I also used a silver rod g clamped to a farmers 3m double gate at around 1m height I worked Australia when the propagation was good.
Sometimes fix a supporting telescopic pole to the farmers gate up at the Pentland Hills near the shooting range,and I use a homebrew 1/4 wave wire dipole and it ties off to each post either side with string/fishing line :thumbup:

27.555 Usb