A guide to CB radio with Dave Lee Travis

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
AxleJack
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: VK2AXL

Re: A guide to CB radio with Dave Lee Travis

Post by AxleJack »

I was an AM breaker pre-legalisation. But I never owned my own radio. I used friends. I was 14 at the time. But after legalisation I got both AM and FM. My first AM was a Cobra 21GTL. It is top of my looooong list of "I wish I still had that" s.

I hid the AM from my parents in case it caused issues. But by the next year I found out that my father wholeheartedly encouraged rebellious activity of an RF nature and I got my Tristar out and put it on top of the desk instead of under it.
Cheers from Jack.
Active in Lockerbie and Dumfries 1981 to 2000. Now in Australia.
43TM006, 43CT006
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

I started out on AM, was around the same age too. No mobile phones or internet so a CB to us then was both these things - information, communication, entertainment, as well as social interaction. Good times & memories.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

'Breaker on the Side' and then 'On the Side' (presumably after going bust) was a great little mag, I've still got a few here and have an Ebay search saved looking out for them but never see any come up for sale. Colt 210 and GPA till FM came along then I had a York 863 8)
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

My first AM set was a Tandy/Realistic straight 40. First UK legal FM was an LCL 2740.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I've never squeezed any norks that I didn't have permission to - the Hairy Cornflake did. Dress it up any way you like, he's now a convicted sex offender.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016