Avanti - Sigma IV - AS AV174

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Avanti - Sigma IV - AS AV174

Post by Queball »

Mark knows his stuff regarding Avanti Sigma IV, Vector 4000s etc, he has been harping on about them for years as i know of. Not being funny though for what it is worth, buying second hand for more than brand new? Surely nobody is that daft to pay more for a second hand antenna
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

Bp ..... if new sigma 4's come your way, stick me on the list mate ;)
Buying and hoarding CB radio's is an illness
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
1993-present, "Superstar"
occupation-running a retirement home for elderly cb radios
Fozzy Bear dont care ya know, so er thats the story!
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

Queball wrote:I'M Not being funny though for what it is worth, buying second hand for more than brand new? Surely nobody is that daft to pay more for a second hand antenna
Unless, of course, your handle is........

I feel, the need, for speed........

Toobad
Call Sign: 26TM357

Post by Toobad »

I'm not in the market for a new one as I'm of the opinion that as long as gaffer taper and bailing wire will keep my original obeying the laws of physics I'm not that fussed how it looks. Since the tip is at 83ft above ground and it allows me consistent ground wave contact with my mate 135 miles away, the actual aesthetics of the antenna are of little concern to me.

I would say that BP has done his part admirably in securing and distributing the Astroplanes and Moonrakers so perhaps somebody else would like to step up for this one. Trouble is for a bulk buy of, say, 20 units the outlay is going to be around the 3000 euros mark. Perhaps all it needs is one adventurous soul to make contact to secure a single unit along with a shipping cost to the UK and post the purchase process here as a simple "How to" guide. I assume Marktplaats is just the Dutch version of Gumtree. Anybody here willing to have a tickle to obtain one of the most iconic CB antennas? And remember, there's an easy £50+ rebate offered by Topgun for anybody willing to buy two.

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/telecommuni ... ousPage=lr
Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

Toobad wrote: Perhaps all it needs is one adventurous soul to make contact to secure a single unit along with a shipping cost to the UK and post the purchase process here as a simple "How to" guide. I assume Marktplaats is just the Dutch version of Gumtree. Anybody here willing to have a tickle to obtain one of the most iconic CB antennas?
I read BP's post and he said one thing, but reading between the lines, I picked up....

The seller ain't fcking interested, I don't trust him and if it works out, it will be really hard work. Unlike the Astro guy who wanted to do a deal and was really up for it. I'm (BP) not going to pursue this one, you're own your own, good luck to you and best of British.
Topgun
Regular
Regular

Post by Topgun »

Now that's cool. :lolno:
Topgun
Regular
Regular

Post by Topgun »

There are those that talk about it and there are those that stuck our hand in our pocket and bought some stock from NL. But then we knew BP would sort it all out and it would come good.[/quote]

Your ok superstar they have got one for you, as they have some in stock from NL. :lol:
Toobad
Call Sign: 26TM357

Post by Toobad »

Great Youtube vid that exemplifies the gaffer tape and bailing wire approach. Love the substitute fibreglass spreader and the missing P-clip solution. I guess all attempts at repairs are valid, it just depends whether you need them to last 5 years or 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnvP5JL8Tc
Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
2SG

Post by 2SG »

Mudslinger wrote:The only problem I have with the Vortex Quasar is it looks like something that was knocked up in someones garage from any old bits of metal that were lying around.

I am sure they are well built and work well, but they look a bit Heath Robinson to me.
If I was in the market for this type of antenna (I'm not...) I would spend the extra cash and buy the Vortex. It is built to a far higher standard than the original Avanti, and having studied the photographs on their website, it looks to me that they have strengthened all the weak points that failed on the original.
I bought and installed an Avanti around 1980, and it worked well, but it was not built to withstand Scottish winters. In one windstorm the main aluminium tube just above the mounting point completely sheared off. Fortunately I was able to salvage most of what was left, and after rebuilding and strengthening it, was able to put it back up, where it lasted a few more years. The fibreglass spreaders were another weak point, as were the P clips, and all had to be modified. Eventually it shook itself to bits and was beyond repair. I still have some of the bits in my shed though :D
The Vortex looks as if it has overcome the weaknesses of the Avanti, and far from being Heath Robinson'ish, appears to be well built using quality materials and thicker walled tubing.
Just my tuppence worth as a previous owner and user of the original Sigma IV.
Chris Cross
New User
New User
Call Sign: 777

Post by Chris Cross »

Hello everyone from Buffalo, I talk off of a Avanti-Sigma AV174. It was made in 1974 and is all original and in very good shape. She picks up everything and gets out really well. I am a bit surprised to see a few of you with the same Antenna, I have been looking for sometime to talk with a few owners but have not been able to do so, due to the fact that there are a few around. hope to hear back from anyone thanks.