Is it time for a CB Echolink system?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Re: Is it time for a CB Echolink system?

Post by ChrisCSL »

At first I thought that this was a silly idea,

But then I thought about it.

You all love using classic and vintage CB radios, but there are not enough of you now. Anybody who loves these old radios will find too few people within his 27 MHz radio range to make it worthwhile.

So ... you want to use them, but there are too few people within range.

I send morse over the internet ... all over the world, but using undersea 'cable' rather than radio. Just like 120 years ago, but using the internet as the 'switcher'. You think that the internet is all satellite? ... no. It's good old cables under the ocean. OK ... fibreoptic rather than copper, but that's progress.

So fine. Use the AF stages of your radios over the internet. But when you design the system, make it sound like 'radio'. Make it sound more like 'dodgy SSB' rather than like VOIP.

VOIP sounds too 'sterile' and 'perfect FM'. I want to hear crackles, fading and drift. Like I am actually talking to somebody a very long way away.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

But its fake... An imposter...

Part n parcel of modern day life... Seems everything is faked like tits, tans, teeth n hair.... Then we have the fools buying into the VW scene with all their modern fakery..... The old men buying new-old bikes n thinking they are going to be some sort of 'Boon' appreciation society an act like teenagers....

Spose what is suggested is a radio equivalent of photoshop!
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

LeakyFeeder wrote:But its fake... An imposter...

Part n parcel of modern day life... Seems everything is faked like tits, tans, teeth n hair.... Then we have the fools buying into the VW scene with all their modern fakery..... The old men buying new-old bikes n thinking they are going to be some sort of 'Boon' appreciation society an act like teenagers....

Spose what is suggested is a radio equivalent of photoshop!
:o :lol: :D
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

26dns wrote:I say potato you say tomata, what ever....

Echolink has been bringing unused FM repeaters back to use for quite some time now.. Just do it, look at frn its designed to link pmr446 radios but a lot of users are running cb gateways through it.... If you have a cb operator talking to another cb operator over a radio gateway, then from radio to radio over the network to radio to radio operator, thats a lot of radios for someone to say it isnt radio....

A.
there is a reason this is your only post and im trying hard to figure it out :crazy:
and welcome to TM1 were your all wrong and i`ll keep you right :D :lol:

remember if it aint cb radio its ham radio
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I heard a repeater on CB EU last summer but can't remember what channel I heard it on now but it was coming in very clear.

I think it would be an excellent idea to have a 27MHz CB repeater in the UK I'm surprised that it hasn't been done already. I don't think it would be necessary to have CTCSS either, keeping it simple and usable would be good for lots of CB'ers because no CB has CTCSS anyhow so who would use a CB repeater that could only be accessed with a CTCSS tone?

Maybe something like a simplex repeater/echolink without CTCSS would be the way to do it and have it on channel 11 on UK40 or something.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

We could do with some weather channels on CB too that would be cool.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

If there is no one to talk to locally then there would be no one else accessing your node, therefore every Billy nomates would need their own node, therefore you may as well forget about the radio part of it and shout into your laptop.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

When the 11 meter hobby becomes so devoid of reasonably close operators, it needs the implementation of internet links between the spread out sparse population, then it is truely the begining of the end!
You may as well all just subscribe to a Skype network and work there!
On the implementation of 27 mHz RF repeaters......think about it, appart from DX stations accessing it when conditions are favorable, any "local participants" would be accessing it via mainly ground wave, so why are they not making that little bit more effort to talk to each other direct simplex?
Pointless from the point of view of increasing activity, but fair to say challenging, for those that wanted to attempt a decent well cavity filtered true split frequency RF repeater offering! ;)
11 meters is what is is, warts and all, and the old saying "You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear" has never been more true!
If you want to dabble in the world of "nodes", "repeaters", "internet linking", "digital comms" and the like, for a very easy bit of effort, there is a plethera of oppertunities available "elsewhere"..........its called a Foundation licence!
CB, 11 meters, be that AM, FM, or SSB, is what it is, use it for what it is, and don't waste your time trying to make it into something it never will be! ;)
Classic

Post by Classic »

It would be so easy to build a repeater for cb.

1. Make it split site
2. The freq split can be as little as 2 channels away
3. Making the split so close makes it useable for everyone with out a repeater shift even tho it would be a little pain moving the ch selector every time you want to talk
4. The transmitter could be put in a tower block or on a very high hill
5. The rx the same as no 4
6. You wouldn't need any fancy repeater controllers of even a pc just the know how ;)
7. The TX and RX can be close to each other making the linking the 2 easy with something as simple as 2.4 audio senders
8. If this happened the 19 would go dead over night :clap:
9. CB would come alive again as you would only need an indoor ant to get into the repeater
10. No one has the balls to do it so forget about it :D
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Classic wrote:It would be so easy to build a repeater for cb.

1. Make it split site
3. Making the split so close makes it useable for everyone with out a repeater shift even tho it would be a little pain moving the ch selector every time you want to talk
6. You wouldn't need any fancy repeater controllers of even a pc just the know how ;)
7. The TX and RX can be close to each other making the linking the 2 easy with something as simple as 2.4 audio senders
Now lets look at the problems!
Split site......fine its how many 10 meter offerings around the world work!
Transmitter on one tower block, receiver on another........good luck with the planning permission, not only from a location point of view, but from a legality of use point of view by the authorities!
I assume you wanted it to be "approved and passed" by the soon to be implement new 11 meter rules and regs, governing authorities?
Why don't you just get real, and use the band for what it was inteneded for, with even more scope soon!
Want to play with repeaters.........others have been there, done that, got the tee shirt, and are simply sat there waiting for participation, which legal requirement for these days, takes minimal effort! ;)
Classic

Post by Classic »

GeeFull wrote:

1. Make it split site
Transmitter on one tower block, receiver on another........good luck with the planning permission, not only from a location point of view, but from a legality of use point of view by the authorities!
I assume you wanted it to be "approved and passed" by the soon to be implement new 11 meter rules and regs, governing authorities?
Why don't you just get real, and use the band for what it was inteneded for, with even more scope soon!
Want to play with repeaters.........others have been there, done that, got the tee shirt, and are simply sat there waiting for participation, which legal requirement for these days, takes minimal effort! ;)
Who said anything about planning permission :wave: Why are hams so butt hurt over people on cb wanting to do these things ? It wouldn't have any thing to do with 90% of the m6 lot coming from cb would it :wave:
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Classic wrote:
GeeFull wrote:

1. Make it split site
Who said anything about planning permission :wave: Why are hams so butt hurt over people on cb wanting to do these things ?
You do what you feel you need to!
But there are better ways to skin a cat, if you are so blind you can't see them, then fine carry on........I wish you all the best in your venture! :roll:
End of the day people with your attitude are the biggest source of the "problems", and certainly not the major source of any "solutions"!
Classic

Post by Classic »

GeeFull wrote:

1. Make it split site
others have been there, done that, got the tee shirt, and are simply sat there waiting for participation,
Who has done it ? No one has because you are talking crap :clap:
Classic

Post by Classic »

Want to play with repeaters.........others have been there, done that, got the tee shirt, and are simply sat there waiting for participation, which legal requirement for these days, takes minimal effort! ;)[/quote]

Who said anything about planning permission :wave: Why are hams so butt hurt over people on cb wanting to do these things ?[/quote]
You do what you feel you need to!
But there are better ways to skin a cat, if you are so blind you can't see them, then fine carry on........I wish you all the best in your venture! :roll:
End of the day people with your attitude are the biggest source of the "problems", and certainly not the major source of any "solutions"![/quote]
I'm not saying i'm going to do it i wouldn't waste my time helping the scum that go on cb i was just putting it out there
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Classic wrote:
GeeFull wrote:

1. Make it split site
others have been there, done that, got the tee shirt, and are simply sat there waiting for participation,
Who has done it ? No one has because you are talking crap :clap:[/quote]
People all over the World have done it where its legal, with the appropriate NOV's, on 10 meters and many other frequencies!
Bottom line is there is NO provision for repeaters on 11 meters, IF you want to remain within the letter of the law!
And with the newly allocated, soon to be implemented, after years of asking, AM/SSB allocations, it would be nice to think people would finaly be satisfied with their lot in life, and not just keep pushing the limits of what "they can get away with"!
But apparantly not!