Is it time for a CB Echolink system?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Classic

Re: Is it time for a CB Echolink system?

Post by Classic »

As i said i'm not going to do it even though i could i was just putting it out there,the people of cb need to move with the times so do hams.

I have lots of cb and ham gear and i'm really thinking about selling up because nothing is happening and no one is coming back it's all out of date and an cool
Classic

Post by Classic »

[/[/b]quote]
People all over the World have done it where its legal, with the appropriate NOV's, on 10 meters and many other frequencies!
Bottom line is there is NO provision for repeaters on 11 meters, IF you want to remain within the letter of the law!
And with the newly allocated, soon to be implemented, after years of asking, AM/SSB allocations, it would be nice to think people would finaly be satisfied with their lot in life, and not just keep pushing the limits of what "they can get away with"!
But apparantly not![/quote]
The way you was going on like someone did it in this nation
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Classic wrote:[/[/b]quote]
People all over the World have done it where its legal, with the appropriate NOV's, on 10 meters and many other frequencies!
Bottom line is there is NO provision for repeaters on 11 meters, IF you want to remain within the letter of the law!
And with the newly allocated, soon to be implemented, after years of asking, AM/SSB allocations, it would be nice to think people would finaly be satisfied with their lot in life, and not just keep pushing the limits of what "they can get away with"!
But apparantly not!
The way you was going on like someone did it in this nation
I'm not sure what you mean, people in "This Nation" do it every day of the week! Set up repeaters that is, on every band conceivable!
But they do it legaly, with the appropriate licence, and issued NOV's!
There is an historic, if thats the way people want to view it, moment about to happen, where people who have campaigned for decades, FINALY get a legal all mode allocation on 27 mHz CB!
They are after many years getting what they have asked for, and it is, and will be, as good as whatever "they" make out of it!
BUT some will still not be satisfied, until they are allowed to "do what they please"....."wherever they choose to do it"!
It beggars belief! :(
Classic

Post by Classic »

We were talking about setting up a split site repeater on cb radio what has ham radio got to do with that ? We all know it's not legal to do but then who runs anything legal on cb ?
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Classic wrote:We were talking about setting up a split site repeater on cb radio what has ham radio got to do with that ? We all know it's not legal to do but then who runs anything legal on cb ?
The ones that get tarred with your brush!
Say no more, I see exactly where you are coming from! :roll:
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I'm sure if people can make repeaters for PMR446 why not CB? it would be so easy to do, stick it up on a tower block and there you go, job done.
Classic

Post by Classic »

GeeFull seems to be some up him own ass ham type. :lol:

I don't really care about radio because it's all dead now if it came back to life i would set a repeater up all by myself even if mr ofcom aka Geefull didn't like it :clap:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

I prefer to keep freeband radio as it is,the skip let's me enjoy the hobby enough without needing to connect up a computer or phone to my radio and Classic have you sold off the radio gear yet as it is a bit daft to keep something if it is deemed as dead as you say it is,plenty station's being heard by myself but I usually sit on the triple fives so my radio is far from dead in my opinion.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

Old thread now,but here's my thoughts,if you read carefully in the CB license Ofcom can change technical requirement when technologies change etc so as far as linked CB bases via the internet as a meshed system on simplex,technically YES,I have done this on zello.
CTCSS is a must have feature on base mobile HT on cb due to skip,unauthorised users,which is now becoming available in 2021 cb,some will do signle tone ctcss,better cb will do split CTCSS tones to do semi duplex style transmissions,without using split frequency(keeping it legal).So that sorts out those technical issues.
Software to link bases tried is Zello PC desktop version.
Simplex repeater-YES can be incorporated with Internet base linking,by using split CTCSS mode.

Hilltop Sites are not necessary when multi-linked base form a "meshed system"so saturated signal coverage in your area,so advantages there!

Technical Issues
1.Grey areas currently in legalities need to challenged-But if handled correctly with Ofcom perhaps changes could be made or certain stipulations maybe required.

2.Costs-High to medium
Not only do you have to maintain your base system 24\7 services-You wont be able to run any other cb equipment at same time -something Users forget

4G router with unlimited data sim typical £20-30 a month or Internet service dedicated to maintain works loads on data.
so you need to keep your internet live
Must have dc power router with a 5-12V UPS battery back up system for your router & pc -brown outs,mains dips,loss of AC mains to maintain service, a must have!

PC computer that can be run on DC and reliable internet,plus AC so have to take in costs of electric \chargers being on 24\7 365 days a year ON.

Antenna system-double shield coax advised to help reduce induced local noise from a house
Mast recommend 55-65ft or higher to avoid round affect,so a decent mast system is needed because your using Line of sight only so correct choice of antenna are needed to get the best performance 1/4 ground plane seem to work best at 65ft from ground for LOS in most Urban areas.

Modified CB radio equipment for COS busy output detection,avoid Vox (Ive found in practise).This used to your interface so PC knows radio is receiving a signal.Not something currently found on cb equipment .

Battery backup\charging system

so a serious investment needed per base,the more bases "linked"the wider coverage area can cover,plus local simplex repeater mode

President Randy 3-supports CTCSS split tones
New Harrison 2-planed should be same as Randy but mobile
Other brands now support CTCSS some single tone CTCSS better ones will do split CTCSS tones

Zello 4g ptt terminals,laptops,tablets,phones can also be linked in Zello linked base.

Technically I cannot see why cb radio could not have inter linking\simplex repeaters (CTCSS controlled),I cannot see any technical challenges.

But running costs,initial cost investments could be a decisive choice.

Legalities issues-(similar to amateur or commercial requirements)hmmm
Repeater Idents-every 15 minutes
Repeater\Gateway linking shut down operation-remote or physical,key people on list
Interfacing requirements-modifications(this could be resolved by a standard interface connector on the cb like commercial VHF\UHF transceiver have.not hard to do,but legalities may need a new approval "interface regime" maybe needed to update hardware)

apart from that whats the benefits?

Localised repeater within 25-30mile+or more with correct antenna system easy to achieve even in urban on cb or licensed pmr 66-88mhz.
Bases are also gateway linked via Zello to any other base station to extend your operation coverage area.
Local base can do Parrot semi duplex ctcss repeater operation to extend or back up on internet down situation.
IT devices can linked into the system ie tablet phones pc laptops
4/5G PTT terminals or hybrids can also be bridged into the system adding outside normal coverage ranages of your local base,extending your coverage further.
Other freqs can used VHF Hi\LO and UHF fill-ins
CB HTs come into own and very practical on NFM+CTCSS

Most of this ive tested and very feasible to do,the real crux is drive,demand,CTCSS CB radios,easy interfacing to PC and any "grey areas" of legalities need to be iron out.

Its all very well being negative about all this very easily,
its a lot harder to do yes,but
very achievable that it cannot NOT be done.
How often I hear from the Amateur radio users they get all upset about it,dont know why as its a totally separate communication system and nothing at all infringes onto there operating requirements one bit,so why get all upset about it?
You got your place and technical requirements be happy guys.

CB is more to kin with the LMR\PMR ,it personal or business use as it was intended (in my eyes) and yes we have hobby ,general rag chewers and DX users too,
but feel cb is def now missing out on this fab opportunity to improve the personal radio band service.

Small groups of users or smaller businesses would prob be more inclined to use something like this system,I would think?
And will agree its NOT for all cb users,its just another addition tool to the box ,aiding CB radio users who may require or want to extend coverages in difficult to reach places or access via a IT device.

Like anything new on radio that's a bit "out there",New you'll always get the doubters and the haters,this is nothing new for cb ,ham radio or business radio.
But if you want things to move forward and not stagnate sometimes you have to bite the bullet and least give it a go.
Otherwise CB Personal Radio just wont improve or get any better or new products come out,gets a bit stale.

for me CTCSS is the first big step for cb users I think,least thats a step in right direction.

sorry this is a old thread,im just updating my current view point now in 2021 as a lot as moved on since on cb radio.

Rob P 73's ;)