Antron 99 heap of rubbish?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Antron 99 heap of rubbish?

Post by MrWeetabix »

If you live on the coast or in an area of very high winds, the fibreglass antenna has advatages of no rust/corrosion and it also goes back in-shape after being bent-over, unlike an 827 or other metallic-exteriored antenna.

However, with that said, I'd spend some extra money and get the iMax 2000 if you require the above characteristics......

....oh wait, I DID! HAHA. Been running an iMax for over 5 years now, also bought a second for mobile work, but ended up putting that up ASWELL!

VERY good antenna IMHO and in my own testing, it even beats the fabled Sirio Gain Master.

If you get an antron very cheap or free, it's an OK antenna which gets you on the air, but no better in actual Radio-performance than a half-wave Silver Rod

Antron 99 - know the facts, know your enemy :-p lol
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

TM1 is now on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB || New Tango Mike QSL cards https://tinyurl.com/TM1-NewQSL
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

LeakyFeeder wrote:Shakie Big Stick all the way fer me... I want summat to last an do the business not come apart like a cheap watch.... But i guess fir the price the 99 isnt that bad...
i've got two, one is still in use, they end up the same as an antron, they rot, they take in water they're sh1t..
one i have on my live stream, SWR is spot on 27.205 as per spec, but it's deaf, to be honest i thought with all the hype about shakespeare's being the be all and end all, they're not..
my other one had been up 30 year, it was greet, the lacquer had worn away and it was full of water,
it's never recovered..!!

fibreglass aerials, good for a few years but thats it, you want one to last you need to maintain it.

and remember it's only a half wave, and not even a ground plane aerial at that..

and yes i use an Imax 2000, i too must apologise for this...
http://livecbradio.co.uk UK's only 24/7 live stream
mr_h4ck3rm4n
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: MM6SGZ

Post by mr_h4ck3rm4n »

Ive got an old Antron mounted at around 10m above the ground with some radials attached and ive also got a Hustler 5-BTV that's ground mounted at the opposite end of the garden, the hustler has also got ground radials and an external ATU attached.,

The difference in noise on the two antenna is unbelievable, with the antron it may seem to display a stronger signal on rx but if I flick over onto the hustler the noise just disappears and I can hear other stations not heard with the antron....

for local tx/rx the antron wins hands down (due to the height its mounted)but for dx its the ground mounted antenna and quietness :)

....i suppose it depends on what you use it for...

HF
Yaesu FTdx1200, Kenwood TS590,
Sailor T2130 & T2031MF/HF Systems
Ameritron 811, Yeasu FL2100
VHF/UHF
Icom IC-208H, Icom IC-2820
Jotron TR7550 VHF Air
Antenna
Comet GP9, Hustler 5-BTV, 3 ELE Yagi 10m/11m
Data Interface
Kantronics Pactor TNC , MJF 1275X

QRZ.COM
Random11
Banned
Banned

Post by Random11 »

So i'm looking at either Sirio 827 or Sirio Gainmaster what's difference between the two?Are there any known problems and what's minimum height these should be mounted in free air?

Thanks for the help so far guys
Coppernob
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Coppernob »

Random11 wrote:So i'm looking at either Sirio 827 or Sirio Gainmaster what's difference between the two?Are there any known problems and what's minimum height these should be mounted in free air?

Google is your friend ,have a look at the images/specifications ..and then decide.
Random11
Banned
Banned

Post by Random11 »

Coppernob wrote:
Random11 wrote:So i'm looking at either Sirio 827 or Sirio Gainmaster what's difference between the two?Are there any known problems and what's minimum height these should be mounted in free air?

Google is your friend ,have a look at the images/specifications ..and then decide.
I know this already m8 you are trying to be helpful ;) but i want specific feedback from people that us this forum
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

Anything by Sirio is what you wan't.....Shakespeare awfull to tune,all Solarcon stuff i've had here blown apart,noisy or filled with water. Gainmaster second best aerial ive used.
26TM114
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Post by rocket »

Personally, I am an advocate of the Sirio 2016 over the 827

Slightly less gain for the 2016 - 1.3dB Vs 1.5db for the 827

But instead of having 8 x radials 1.4m for the 827 the 2016 has 16 x 70cm long

The 2016 is shorter too at 6.1m Vs 6.7m for the 827

Reduced visual impact and surface area (For wind damage) is why I like it.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

The problem with the 827 and especially the 2016 are the radials are just not long enough and they've been added to help sell the twig...Circa Hygain Silver rod from the 80's with 18" half moon things.
Verticals need ground planes of at least a 8'6 for 27mhz's

If they are shorter the vertical becomes an end fed and not a Dipole 8)

So Sirio are not perfect,they take short cuts but they do make the the best value v performance twigs today.
26TM114
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The GPE 27 5/8 wave that I have was a 2 s-point improvement on TX and RX compared to the A99 it replaced.

People though that I had bought a burner.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Post by rocket »

Phoenix wrote:The problem with the 827 and especially the 2016 are the radials are just not long enough and they've been added to help sell the twig...Circa Hygain Silver rod from the 80's with 18" half moon things.
Verticals need ground planes of at least a 8'6 for 27mhz's

If they are shorter the vertical becomes an end fed and not a Dipole 8)

So Sirio are not perfect,they take short cuts but they do make the the best value v performance twigs today.
Completely agree with your Value/Performance comments on Sirio.

A decent antenna is not always about the most ridiculous manufacturer computer generated dBi gain figures but about what is meaningful (which is why I quoted dB gain) and also the life, visual impact and economics over it's lifespan of the antenna.

When people who are new to CB ask me about a home base CB antenna I always say "What are your neighbours like...?"

This isn't the 80's, an antenna like these suddenly appearing on a pole in you back garden can cause tongues to wag and complaints to be made about it.

Bigger isn't always better, it's about compromise.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Use an old original a99 while hilltopping or down at the shore,it is ok.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'd prefer to get an IMAX or Gainmaster but can't afford either lol so the Antron will have to go up at some point :(
stephen
Regular
Regular

Post by stephen »

used a99 for years great dx all over both poles most of the states most of north Africa most of eu but only 12ft of the ground and had no probs with loose joints or water and no probs with static been through some very big storms and still up yes there is better antennas on the market but aluminum does not last long were i live high winds this is my third one i like them every one to there own 73s
never go faster then your guardian angel can fly
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Mine's a couple of years old, freebe if anyone want's it as moving in a few months, pair of T&K brackets and nice pole still shiny :D only requirement you come get it down, so ladders needed, but a quality freebe as we all love a 99. :D
CB call. Shipwreck.