Antron 99 heap of rubbish?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Antron 99 heap of rubbish?

Post by The Collector »

Is that their own version Craig? Can't see any mention of the branding for it. For £3 more I'd probably go for the Firestik one personally. Some of these cheaper fibreglass jobbies end up bent, like the long-coiled "Red Devil/Thunder/Rocket" mobile efforts.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

100% understand , we do limit our contact but you never know and considering it further with dad in hospital I don't blaim you .
Yes lol saw the thunderpole ones , no idea really but would guess the original could be better.firestik seem pretty well made.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Well I've got the old A99 set up in Brum and I'm currently listening to the waffling on ch19. Jeez, between the constant yapping, music-playing and swearing, I'm surprised there's any room left for a normal conversation. It's certainly gone downhill since I last used it properly in the 90's. ;)
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm957

Post by timbob58 »

Had my 99 up and down for the past 30 odd years (( when id have to move house )). Never had a problem with it , have a 827 up at the monent .been there for about 6 weeks .swr is really good like the antron is ,but seem to get more Crap with the 827 not a great fan of it. putting my 99 back up shortly . When i've cleaned it up abit .
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Collector, I will stick my radio on this evening ,what radio you using a UK 40 or mid too . Can try contact at 7 or 8 pm if your still local
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Sorry mate, been busy cleaning dad's house and arranging to buy an electric disability chair etc. Just having a break which is needed, as he's a bit of a messy hoarder, as well as lazy lol. He'll use all the mugs and glasses in the cupboards, rather than have to wash one, heaven forbid. Same applies with plates etc. We're binning loads so he runs out and will have to wash up. The way it's going he may not be able to look after himself or walk again, so we'll see how things progress.

I'd be available a bit later on tomorrow evening if you're around, say about 22:00hrs? My sister and I are working until about then at times! I've brought down the President Walker I got from Cheddar car boot sale, so how about channel 2 on mid's? If that's no good just let me know mate ;)
Last edited by The Collector on 23 Aug 2020, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

That's bang on mate ,will be their.
Well remember he can have care in, aids adaptions.
Generally before he's discharged to return home he will have had assessment by social care officer of worker.
Let them do work too in arranging accessing what he needs too.

Although presently it's all to cock mate.
Hope he can return mate.
No probs catch you at 22.00 hrs.
2 mid.tomoz
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

original45 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 19:42 That's bang on mate ,will be their.
Well remember he can have care in, aids adaptions.
Generally before he's discharged to return home he will have had assessment by social care officer of worker.
Let them do work too in arranging accessing what he needs too.

Although presently it's all to cock mate.
Hope he can return mate.
No probs catch you at 22.00 hrs.
2 mid.tomoz

Cool, catch you then (hopefully, as the A99 is only 4ft off the ground).

The QE hospital are trying to get him into Moseley Hall. Shame, as had it been West Heath, he'd have only been half a mile away from where he and my sister live! Typically, he's been an award-winning volunteer visitor welcomer there for about 5 years, but he's been using their services himself a lot just lately!
We took him in some soups he likes this morning. We also spoke with him twice today on video chat. His personality's been affected as well as no movement in his left arm or leg, but his speech is pretty good. My sister may have to sell her house and move in with him, but only time will tell.

TTFN until tomorrow at 22:00hrs, channel 2 on mid-block ;)
Last edited by The Collector on 23 Aug 2020, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

No probs were not that far ,should be fine.
Ttfn
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Could someone please explain the RF theory as to why an antenna performs better with the a loosely coiled piece of wire at the top (fire up) instead of the original physically longer uncoiled straight piece of wire.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'm not sure it actually does unless someone's done a proper signal test with both in exacting conditions? All I'd ever have one for is because it's nowhere near as whippy ;)