Smelly radios

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Smelly radios

Post by MrWeetabix »

Hang a magic tree off your nose! haha

Must admit, smelly kit is my pet hate too. as a non-smoker I really notice it if something has came from a smoker's home.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

It wouldn't be so bad if it can be cleaned, but the smell is impossible to get rid of.

If I sold something that smelled of poo someone would surely complain, and to my nose stale tobacco is just as bad.

It isn't something especially rare, but I don't feel comfortable selling it on without mentioning the smell. And by doing that I will likely end up making a loss.

I messaged the seller saying I would like to return it, and I would have been prepared to pay return costs, but the seller has kicked up a fuss about it and got stroppy so I will end up going through Paypal or my credit card.

It isn't a lot of money but it is the principle.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Mudslinger wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 13:22 It wouldn't be so bad if it can be cleaned, but the smell is impossible to get rid of.

If I sold something that smelled of poo someone would surely complain, and to my nose stale tobacco is just as bad.

It isn't something especially rare, but I don't feel comfortable selling it on without mentioning the smell. And by doing that I will likely end up making a loss.

I messaged the seller saying I would like to return it, and I would have been prepared to pay return costs, but the seller has kicked up a fuss about it and got stroppy so I will end up going through Paypal or my credit card.

It isn't a lot of money but it is the principle.
Ebay is really weighted towards the buyer these days. They'll probably just issue you a refund eventually, whatever he says.

Customer is always right. Unless the customer is buying from RTI, then the Customer needs their head checked! haha
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's a shame you weren't offered one of ebay's return item deals where you can return the item if you think it was mis-sold somehow, although you're liable for the return postage I think. Ebay automatically refund when the postage shows as delivered.

Better to lose a fiver in postage than not being able to use it and losing £20 reselling it honestly, mentioning the awful pong.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The Collector wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 19:02
Better to lose a fiver in postage than not being able to use it and losing £20 reselling it honestly, mentioning the awful pong.
That was my thinking.

It is shame that the seller didn't give me that option. However having sold stuff myself I know that he is on a hiding to nothing, and it would have also been better for him to have done that.

Not to worry either way though these things happen.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The thing is, is it worth arguing the toss with someone (who is probably right) and can leave you bad feedback for the sake of a few quid?

They'll possibly lose future customers when they read about it on the feedback, as well as you never buying anything from them again.

I'd probably take it back, clean it as best as possible, giveit a good airing out and mention it in the resale. Sometimes, a bit honesty can make up for things. He could always stick an extra fiver on the starting price to recoup his postage losses.

Can you tell I used to deal with complaints at John Lewis when the managers themselves didn't like getting shouted at lol? ;)
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Thats the thing, it isn't worth them arguing. A disgruntled buyer is likely to leave negative feedback...

If ebay don't find in my favour and allow me to return it I will sell it on. I am sure someone who smokes would buy it.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Stick a "Malboro Man" sticker on it and someone in the US will snap it up. The nicotine/tobacco smell is one of the worst, most disgusting, foul-smelling odours out there to a non-smoker.
As a non-smoker myself, I used to make one of my very first girlfriends have a polo mint before I'd kiss her!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I had a girlfriend who smoked as well. I only put up with it because she was fit. Very fit in fact. ;)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Bicarbonate of soda all over and seal in a bag for a few days.

I had a vehicle carpet from a classic motor that had been subjected to sulphuric acid fumes.
It got washed several times and the pong of rotten eggs and catpiss just wouldnt leave.
I sprinkled bicarbonate all over it and sealed it in a bag and left it.

It didnt stink anymore once it had been in there a while.
Give it a try.

Also, to remove brown nicotine stains use either TFR (truckwash) but obviously not inside or blue magic, it just dissolves any kind of tar or gungy type deposits.
And dont leave it on aluminium as it eats it.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Thanks for the tip. If I am unsuccessful at getting a return I will give it a try. :)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Return has been accepted. :)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Mudslinger wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 20:28 Return has been accepted. :)
:thumbup:
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Great news 👍

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Hopefully I won't get messed around once it arrives back with him. I sent it back exactly as it arrived but I don't trust him.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612