Realistic dx394 which antenna conection?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Realistic dx394 which antenna conection?

Post by WARLOCK »

i have a realistic DX 394 with a HOWES CTU8 antenna tuning unit fitted to a randum longwire antenna, On the back of the dx394 there are 2 places to fit the antenna to one marked high-z and the other one marked low-z which would be the best one to join the antenna to?
From George warlock1946
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Realistic dx394 which antenna conection?

Post by normal »

View of DX394 rear panel, SO239 low impedance input, phono socket hi-z input.

Why not just try both yourself? You might learn somthing.
Tune to a weak station and see which input gives clearest reception.

Chances are with a large shortwave antenna the lo-z input wil be better and with something like a little telescopic antenna the hi-z input will be better.

We don't know the source impedance of your antenna at your frequencys of interest so we can't give you a definate answer!

The hi-z input bypasses the input low-pass and band-pass filtering so if you connect an antenna that pulls in strong signals you are more likely to get receiver overload or intermodulation products.
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by bigbassman »

I find that the Lo-z antenna connection works best with a random wire antenna on the DX-394 having just done an A-B test.Signal level of a European QSO dropped to 0 on the Hi-z,as opposed to S2 on the Lo.
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
Hanglands

Post by Hanglands »

Well, the manual says Hi-Z for a longwire, and Lo-Z for a dipole.
Ive had my longwire going into Hi-Z and compared it to using Lo-Z with an ATU, I found no discernable difference.

Regards,

S.