RM203p issue

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

RM203p issue

Post by Mudslinger »

A couple of years back I bought a new (or so I thought) RM KL203p from the bay of E.

I didn't actually manage to try it, and it ended up stuck under the bed until today.

It seems to have an issue, when transmitting it is putting put the correct amount of power but when turned to the linear on postion the radio that it is connected to stops receiving a signal. Totally deaf.

I am a bit annoyed that I didn't get to test it when it arrived, but for a couple of reasons it wasn't possible, as I could've just sent it back...

As I am now stuck with it, I may as well see if it can be fixed, what do we think is wrong? Switching relay?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: RM203p issue

Post by ch25 »

Might be oscillating.
Is red led in front lit when deaf?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I will need to check for sure as it was my brother testing it, but I think that it was on.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

So it transmits ok but when you un-key the receive on the radio is deaf? Sounds like a sticky relay to me.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
NM1020
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26NM1020

Post by NM1020 »

It's the 203P, the 'P' meaning it's got a preamp fitted. These are a good little amp, but are well known for preamp failure causing the fault you describe. Receive preamp failure is usually caused by the antenna being left connected during a thunder storm. I've never seen the innards of one of these, but if it's the same as the bigger ones, then it's a single transistor and I seem to remember, although it's a long while ago, that I used something like a BC107 as a replacement to get them going again. It sounds like you possibly bought one that was returned to the supplier as faulty and when they tested it on a dummy load it would have seemed to work fine, so was sent out for sale again as fully functional - they wouldn't have noticed the preamp receive fault on a dummy load.
Last edited by NM1020 on 18 Dec 2023, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

NightProwler wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 14:48 So it transmits ok but when you un-key the receive on the radio is deaf? Sounds like a sticky relay to me.
Yes, and if you turn it off and back on it is back to normal until you transmit again.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

NM1020 wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 16:46 It's the 203P, the 'P' meaning it's got a preamp fitted. These are a good little amp, but are well known for preamp failure causing the fault you describe. Receive preamp failure is usually caused by the antenna being left connected during a thunder storm. I've never seen the innards of one of these, but if it's the same as the bigger ones, then it's a single transistor and I seem to remember, although it's a long while ago, that I used something like a BC107 as a replacement to get them going again. It sounds like you possibly bought one that was returned to the supplier as faulty and when they tested it on a dummy load it would have seemed to work fine, so was sent out for sale again as fully functional - they wouldn't have noticed the preamp receive fault on a dummy load.
It could be, but used on it's own the preamp seems to work ok.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

NM1020
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26NM1020

Post by NM1020 »

Mudslinger wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 17:49It could be, but used on it's own the preamp seems to work ok.
In that case, yes, it does sound like the relay is sticking, or possibly being held in by some voltage leaking from somewhere that's then being released when switched off and then back on again, but just guessing really without having the unit actually in front of me.
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

Transistor voltage is leaking and they are not switching off

Could be bad fets.
DELETE MY ACCOUNT
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I will get it back this weekend and can get a look at it.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I have just had a look at this, taken the covers off and there isn't anything obvious wrong. The Only "FET's" in the circuit according to the schematic are the MOS FETS, which I am pretty sure are ok as the full whack of power comes out no problem.

When the unit is dekeyed there is zero power coming out, but it is preventing any received signal passing through to the radio unless turned off and back on again.

I need to try it with a different radio and patch cord just to eliminate a quirk with the setup being the cause.

At very least it has to be worth a few quid spares or repairs due to the output MOSFETs being ok, especially if someone has an amp with them blown.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

I still think the relay is sticking. I had the same problem in an RM plug in the wall amp years ago, Changed the RS relay and it worked again. If it's one of those relays that the cover comes off try spraying some contact cleaner in it.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The relays appear sealed, I can get a pair of new ones for around £8 so may give that a try.

There is also chance that we may have some at work so will have a look there when I go back in next week.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

I remember now there were two relays in mine. Mine was the homebase version. Two new relays and it worked again. Worth a try..
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Yes it has two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612