Hello From Glasgow, Noob :roll:

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Alan Cee
Regular
Regular

Hello From Glasgow, Noob :roll:

Post by Alan Cee »

Hello Ladies and Gents, I have recently bought a Uniden Bearcat UBC355CLT as well as a UBC92XLT (no idea how to program this thing)

I used to be into my CB stuff many moons ago, still have them up the loft and had scanners when they were good, u know when you could get the police and stuff :P but I've been wanting to get a scanner for ages so finally did, I bought these and truth be told I have no idea what the heck there is to listen to anymore, I have just been letting it scan and I've been picking up GLA AT Approach and the odd conversation on PMR, was quite funny actually, but anyways, if there's any suggestions on where to start and what's good nowadays that would be really much appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks Alan
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Hello From Glasgow, Noob :roll:

Post by Tin soldier »

Hello and welcome Alan.
Not sure if this helps .

Baofeng UV5R are great little radios for only around £25
Alan Cee
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Cee »

Tin soldier wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 16:36 Hello and welcome Alan.
Not sure if this helps .

Baofeng UV5R are great little radios for only around £25
Cheers I'll have a butchers at that, thanks :thumbup:
bertbuckie
New User
New User

Post by bertbuckie »

Welcome weegie lad :) I’m at Buckie and also a noob with a similar background :) things have fairly moved on!
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Post by Spooky »

I'm new on here and to the hobby like yourself having been into CB radio in about 1984 - good luck with your local scanning, I'm in West Lothian myself and tried scanning with very little results initially.
After reading here about scanning and antenna's , I made a few changes and can pick up loads of stuff now.
Great website with loads of info.
Some super knowledgeable people on here.
All the best !
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Post by Spooky »

Get yourself a CB radio Alan - there is so much activity on the CB frequencies in Scotland, in and around Glasgow.
Get a radio that will do sideband and get into "Nets" - kinda like radio meet ups, everyone calls in and it all gets logged.
The local CB guys around here got me set up with a DX call sign and I joined the group, this is not the same as an Amateur Radio call sign, but it allows you to be identified over the CB
I get people from all over Europe, America, Australia and a decent bunch of local guys in my area, all on CB !

You can obviously scan these frequencies but being able to interact with people is really cool.
If it wasn't for local CB guys - my scanning would bring up very few hits.
There are fully licensed Amateur guys on CB that will keep you right - you can gain so much knowledge by talking to them.

It's all about the Antenna mate !
Best of luck Alan.
Alan Cee
Regular
Regular

Post by Alan Cee »

Cheers everyone, sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen this, as for Antenna, I'm restricted so.cant put up.a huge thing but I can probably get away with one for 2m and 70cm, have my test booked for next week, I've treated myself to a CRT SS 7900V Turbo, a good Magmount for 10meters that I fire in the and go places, baby steps.