How to stream SDR over the internet ?

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
LondonCbRadio

How to stream SDR over the internet ?

Post by LondonCbRadio »

I have a cheap SDR and i'd like to stream it over the net. Does anyone know how or could give more info. I noticed London don't have anyone streaming a SDR over the net so i'd like to be the first.
dc260
Regular
Regular

Re: How to stream SDR over the internet ?

Post by dc260 »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 20:35 I have a cheap SDR and i'd like to stream it over the net. Does anyone know how or could give more info. I noticed London don't have anyone streaming a SDR over the net so i'd like to be the first.
https://www.openwebrx.de/ openwebRX would be a suitable starting point, you will need a host machine to run the server from, this can be even done with a raspberry pi computer.

If I may make a request, please add support for the 11m, 2m/70cm and pmr-446 band.
73 and good luck.
-
milly
Call Sign: redacted

Post by milly »

Other simple options include Spyserver (part of the sdrsharp releases, https://airspy.com/download/) and Globaltuners (https://www.globaltuners.com/)
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

I stream on YT if I need.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

milly wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 08:32 Other simple options include Spyserver (part of the sdrsharp releases, https://airspy.com/download/) and Globaltuners (https://www.globaltuners.com/)
Whilst globaltuners is a viable option, I believe that whilst it can be used with an SDR, it was originally intended for use with traditional receivers, hence the lack of spectrum display and single frequency. So in my view I don't think it would be an appropriate solution for the SDR.
Spyserver on the other hand would be another great and suitable solution.
-
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

dc260 wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 22:38
LondonCbRadio wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 20:35 I have a cheap SDR and i'd like to stream it over the net. Does anyone know how or could give more info. I noticed London don't have anyone streaming a SDR over the net so i'd like to be the first.
https://www.openwebrx.de/ openwebRX would be a suitable starting point, you will need a host machine to run the server from, this can be even done with a raspberry pi computer.

If I may make a request, please add support for the 11m, 2m/70cm and pmr-446 band.
73 and good luck.
11meter and pmr446 will be priority.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I suppose it might be people report it to OFCOM and they get the ISP to block it. They certainly do that when people try to stream airband. I wouldn't have thought it worth it on CB or PMR446 as they're not controlled services, and are a mess anyway? They could of course if the content was questionable.
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

paulears wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 11:44 I suppose it might be people report it to OFCOM and they get the ISP to block it. They certainly do that when people try to stream airband. I wouldn't have thought it worth it on CB or PMR446 as they're not controlled services, and are a mess anyway? They could of course if the content was questionable.
Can you provide some examples of this? The G0XBU webSDR has provided both PMR-446 and Airband reception for many years now.
http://81.174.147.103:8901/
-
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Interesting - I've discovered quite a few now doing it - but the power that was used appears to be section 48 of the Wireless telegraphy Act - which prevents you passing on what you have heard from stations other than broadcasting. I can't find any prosecutions, but that law section is still active and was what they used in the past. Perhaps they've changed tack as OFCOM now are once again administering aviation radio - which was previously contracted out to the CAA. Maybe the CAA hated it and stopped it, but OFCOM are more 'loose'.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

paulears wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 16:59 Interesting - I've discovered quite a few now doing it - but the power that was used appears to be section 48 of the Wireless telegraphy Act - which prevents you passing on what you have heard from stations other than broadcasting. I can't find any prosecutions, but that law section is still active and was what they used in the past. Perhaps they've changed tack as OFCOM now are once again administering aviation radio - which was previously contracted out to the CAA. Maybe the CAA hated it and stopped it, but OFCOM are more 'loose'.
I think you're stuck in the past my friend. Things moving very fast now days.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Only since OFCOM took it back from the CAA, but I take your point.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

I've got ubuntu if anyone can give me a step by step guide for openwebrx that would be great as i'm not that good with computers.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Openwebrx saying no sdr devices. I'm using ubuntu.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Turns out i have a fake SDR it's a cheap blue one i got from ebay.
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 16:13 Openwebrx saying no sdr devices. I'm using ubuntu.
Do make sure you have the up to date drivers installed for it and not the default ones.
-