USA

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Dave 1949
Regular
Regular

USA

Post by Dave 1949 »

Is it possible to take a radio scanner to the USA fom the UK on my holiday
Without problems.
DuncanM

Re: USA

Post by DuncanM »

Don't put it in your hand luggage. I've been stateside twice and never had problems. Disconnect any antennas as well.
Dave 1949
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave 1949 »

Thacks .
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

The problem with hand luggage is not the American side, it's this side. You won't hear much if anything anyway. A friend tried it pre 2001 and all he got after take from Stansted to landing Glasgow was BBC Radio 2.
Dave 1949
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave 1949 »

Hi will this uniden ubcd3600xtl work ok in the usa when
Visit in a few weeks.

Thank you.
enigma1

Post by enigma1 »

Dave 1949 wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 07:26 Hi will this uniden ubcd3600xtl work ok in the usa when
Visit in a few weeks.

Thank you.
Possibly it might work. They are meant for the American market anyway. Depends on where you are visiting etc. I use 5.0 radio app to listen to the states on my phone. I suppose it could be useful for more local radio traffic
:thumbup: :crazy: on a good day … average :crazy:
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

Dave 1949 wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 07:26 Hi will this uniden ubcd3600xtl work ok in the usa when
Visit in a few weeks.

Thank you.
It will, the Sentinel programming has American states in it. I wish you could just hit a button or two here in the UK and the scanner would know where you were and populate itself.
enigma1

Post by enigma1 »

DuncanM wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 14:01
Visit in a few weeks.

Thank you.
It will, the Sentinel programming has American states in it. I wish you could just hit a button or two here in the UK and the scanner would know where you were and populate itself.
Don’t we all fella 👍🏻
:thumbup: :crazy: on a good day … average :crazy:
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Actually you can with a few Uniden scanners including the 3600, you add a Uniden GPS kit to the scanner, set your Lat and Long in Sentinel and add the frequency information from WTR Browser which includes station Lat and Longs. You then set sentinel to only scan users within a pre determined variable distance from your scanner... This is possible because the OFCOM WTR Register database included the Lat and Long of user TX locations.. It is a little more than just a couple of button pushes but does work well..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

I'd rather not use WTR Broswer. There is a scanner linker in RadioReference UK but I'm not sure how it works.
Dave 1949
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave 1949 »

Wee are going to Miami so I think I will just use the search options
On known frequencies I wont say on hear ? and thanks for all the feed back
The port will not be far away ??.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

DuncanM wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 13:48 I'd rather not use WTR Broswer. There is a scanner linker in RadioReference UK but I'm not sure how it works.
Not sure if RRUK data output contains Lat & Long info ...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

"How Scanner Linker Works

Scanner linker uses your RRUK account and postcode to download a database tailored to your local area, it downloads all frequencies within a 50 mile radius of your postcode as well as all Airport, Airfield, Military Airband and Nationwide frequencies. Scanner linker then connects directly to your scanner and gets the frequency you are tuned to, it then does a superfast lookup against the database it has automatically downloaded and displays the nearest 3 users of that frequency. Each time you start Linker it updates the database so you're always up to date.

To use scanner linker you need to connect your scanner to your Windows PC or Laptop, for many scanners this is simply a USB cable, for some of the older models such as the AOR AR8600 they require a USB to RS232 adapter cable. Scanner linker connects directly to the COM port your scanner is attached to, it reads the frequency you are tuned to and displays the 3 nearest matches including distance from you and the direction in degrees.

Scanner linker doesn't require any third party software to talk to your scanner, you simply run our app and it does all the work.

Scanner Linker with SDRs - SDRUno / SDRSharp
Scanner linker can operate with your SDR using SDRUno or SDRSharp software, to make things simple Scanner Linker uses its own Omnirig profile to talk to SDRUno and SDR Sharp, Omnirig is a free utility for radio and scanner control, SDRUno has Omnirig functionality built directly into it and SDRSharp has a plugin module".

View the videos on our Youtube channel

An active RRUK subscription is required to run scanner linker and your PC must be connected to the internet.
Dave 1949
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave 1949 »

Well I did not have any problems getting the Uniden into the usa ,but they did search my suitcase on the way out of the usa as when I got back home they had left a printed
Leaflet informing that they had dons so and no problems it was still there at the bottom
Of the case .now I did not find one police channel at all after hours of searching but I did
Find Search 7 Rescue that was very interesting with security cannels others so it was worth it.

Sorry it’s a bit jumbled just got home from the long flight
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

I preloaded my Uniden before I left and a lot appeared, but I think a few are non nfm now. I used radioreference.com for details. The only item I had they checked was my laptop, they wanted to make sure it switched on. Americans can be of the opinion if someone is talking about them, they want to hear what is being said. Ive been through Newark twice, Los Angeles twice, JFK, Atlanta and the only one I got stopped was Detroit.