The future of CB Radio

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
LondonCbRadio

The future of CB Radio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

What are your views ? I think right now it's good for back up comms in a bad event to keep in touch with friends and family.Apart from that what others uses right now and in the future ?
dc260
Regular
Regular

Re: The future of CB Radio

Post by dc260 »

Long distance contacts are becoming viable again due to the sun cycle. I am looking forward to this summer.
-
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Toy for nerds, that's how I see it.
Here, even as cop speed traps warning cb radio died.
I can listen road channel all day long, quiet.
Of course there is a lot of traffic when skip starts rolling, but nothing compared to early 90's CB popularity.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

It still has a place in agriculture, as a cheap, short range and quick means of communication.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Not a lot left is their, I have been on since the AM days and I still use it for local coms and dx.....I spend more time on it than boring my noggin listening to illnesses on inter g stuff along with the stay safe brigade stay safe from what exactly.
They are still making CB radios so It will probably still be around when I'm pushing up daisies :lol:
Last edited by Whisky1 on 16 Jun 2023, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

It had it's day just like flares, platform shoes, disco music and wine bars did. All in the past and just a niche thing now.
Last edited by Transwarp on 17 Jun 2023, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The thing I’m constantly surprised by is that brand new CB products look exactly the same as those in the 70s? It’s like they are still using the same chassis and knobs. Is this a sort of cosmetic thing, or are these old looking ones, old technology inside too?
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

in my area all thats left is semi local dimwits talking on T5 about kebabs and what pile cream is best and boy do they hate being asked to move , a couple are on this forum , care to explain in front of everyone why . i wont hold my breath.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

109 Jim wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 09:39 in my area all thats left is semi local dimwits talking on T5 about kebabs and what pile cream is best and boy do they hate being asked to move , a couple are on this forum , care to explain in front of everyone why . i wont hold my breath.
I don't get why they sit there yapping....no respect for the old gentlemen's code Jim.
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

ones in my area havent a clue , its out their comfort zone if they move off t5 , notice ones in this group wont say why they do it , good at keying mic and wasting it for others , cowards to come on and say why.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'm selling 99% of my radios, but I've gone and bought an Anytone/Jopix "Doris" radio, lol, so I'll have it in the van I've just had to buy as my beloved Renault Espace had to be sold for spares/repairs. It's just in case I need close-quarter contact in a family convoy, or more excitingly, in case of a zombie apocalypse! I'm making myself a roof-mount and I'll have an old half-breed aerial I can pop on if the zombies start kicking off and I need to call for a napalm-style airstrike or something ;)
Crusty Juggler
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TD133

Post by Crusty Juggler »

I'm rather surprised at the negative comments here. Sure it may not be as it used to be. I don't really know how it used to be as I only started with it last year. As a newcomer, I have been enjoying a few regular nets which have around twenty to thirty folks joining in. Frequently with stations from abroad taking part. There seem to be a lot of nets all over the country now too. I know that many have no interest in nets and prefer other forms of radio use, but surely all that is needed is for folks to pick up a mic and call out. I do think to many sit listening and waiting for others to initiate contacts.
Anyway, that's just me. Someone whose been at it for five minutes and enjoying it greatly.

Al
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Crusty Juggler wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:16 I'm rather surprised at the negative comments here. Sure it may not be as it used to be. I don't really know how it used to be as I only started with it last year. As a newcomer, I have been enjoying a few regular nets which have around twenty to thirty folks joining in. Frequently with stations from abroad taking part. There seem to be a lot of nets all over the country now too. I know that many have no interest in nets and prefer other forms of radio use, but surely all that is needed is for folks to pick up a mic and call out. I do think to many sit listening and waiting for others to initiate contacts.
Anyway, that's just me. Someone whose been at it for five minutes and enjoying it greatly.

Al

That's the problem too many people on just one channel. If you could split that net up into 5 channels say it would be better. People get bored listening to others and only getting to speak every few minutes. It's the same in London area we got a big group all on one channel. It's not so much the numbers it's the use of channels, When someone turns their cb on the first time in years and only hears one channel with 20-30 talking and 5 times that listening it starts to feel like a club and if you're not part of it etc....
Crusty Juggler
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TD133

Post by Crusty Juggler »

As I said, nets aren't for everyone, but as a beginner I found them very useful to learn radio etiquete etc. Also they have been my way of making friends and regular contacts, for which I am very grateful.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Crusty Juggler wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 09:00 As I said, nets aren't for everyone, but as a beginner I found them very useful to learn radio etiquete etc. Also they have been my way of making friends and regular contacts, for which I am very grateful.
What is your profile pic about ?